Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome day out on the river today. I started out where I found the 1892 Barber a week ago. Found a little clad and three indians and a little tombac button. Love the patina on them when they come from the clay bottom and with dates too

So I moved on as the tide was beginning to come in and I wasnt finding much. I decided to hit another spot on the way back that I knew looked good to try. One of my first signals was the beautiful 17th century spectacle buckle. Ended up with a William III, KG I, mystery dime sized copper with a shield and crown on it, trade weight? that I think is period, button and some leather ornaments. I hit the half real cob at the end and figured I wasnt going to top that today so I headed toward the boat. My next signal ended up being another cob which looks to have been a one real cut to half real size. I will be going back very soon

Attachments

• 9453E81D-4FA7-4FC7-B61D-D4DD3A34D2E0.jpeg
    9453E81D-4FA7-4FC7-B61D-D4DD3A34D2E0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • AC74F2AF-E157-47E6-A663-554F898EFC4D.jpeg
    AC74F2AF-E157-47E6-A663-554F898EFC4D.jpeg
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 23EBABE8-90D1-45F0-A327-9E92BC29C479.jpeg
    23EBABE8-90D1-45F0-A327-9E92BC29C479.jpeg
    665.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 5870E2A0-AB9E-4FEA-89F7-FC25CB3FCB4D.jpeg
    5870E2A0-AB9E-4FEA-89F7-FC25CB3FCB4D.jpeg
    592.3 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 41
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they were clipped a lot more than you think
Clipping is completely different, than cutting into equal pieces.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clipping is completely different, than cutting into equal pieces.

I never meant to imply that they were cut into equal pieces as that would be difficult but merly cut or clipped down closer to a smaller denominations weight. From the few that I have been lucky enough to recover, though, I can say that they did a pretty good job of making an equal cut. I have what I believe was a two reales cob that was clipped down to within a few tenths of a gram of a full weight 1 real. Same can be said for the two 1 reals cobs recovered this weekend. Their clipped weight is within a few tenths of a gram of a full weight half real

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never meant to imply that they were cut into equal pieces as that would be difficult but merly cut or clipped down closer to a smaller denominations weight. From the few that I have been lucky enough to recover, though, I can say that they did a pretty good job of making an equal cut. I have what I believe was a two reales cob that was clipped down to within a few tenths of a gram of a full weight 1 real. Same can be said for the two 1 reals cobs recovered this weekend. Their clipped weight is within a few tenths of a gram of a full weight half real
Interesting. As the practice of clipping a silver or gold coin has been happening since at least Roman times & was very popular in the medieval. However, this was done to pinch small pieces off & collect them together to melt down into a usable chunk. They did this mostly in the hope that the face value stayed the same. Of course savvy merchants had coin weights & would not accept at face value, however it may pass throw many everyday men. So was this clipping down in the same way??
What you stated above suggests not, as they are trying to match a known weight, so it begs to question, what where they doing?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are doing great in the water and you are on a really old site. How deep is the water where you are making these recoveries and do you have any idea what went on there like river crossing, dock, etc?

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. As the practice of clipping a silver or gold coin has been happening since at least Roman times & was very popular in the medieval. However, this was done to pinch small pieces off & collect them together to melt down into a usable chunk. They did this mostly in the hope that the face value stayed the same. Of course savvy merchants had coin weights & would not accept at face value, however it may pass throw many everyday men. So was this clipping down in the same way??
What you stated above suggests not, as they are trying to match a known weight, so it begs to question, what where they doing?

Perhaps they had simply clipped them so much that they would no longer pass as a 1 real, so they were further clipped into a half real. Some of my clipped cobs do appear to have multiple clips on them so wether done over time or all at once who knows. It makes sense to me to only have coins of certain weights circulating otherwise everyone would need scales. I did Id be curious to find out the weights of some recovered clipped cobs elsewhere too.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are doing great in the water and you are on a really old site. How deep is the water where you are making these recoveries and do you have any idea what went on there like river crossing, dock, etc?

Thanks. Some of the finds have been below the high tide line on the beach and others have been in near waist deep water at low tide. There is a circa 1750 house way up in the field off the river but all the finds are older. I know the opposite side of the river had significant activity circa 1700 so maybe a river crossing

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a super hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread