JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I recently picked up CRH 4 weeks ago and have been addicted ever since. I mainly hunt nickels and pennies. Halves ($1k produced 1 40% and 1 proof, dimes ($350) produced nothing except a merc from a customer roll... but nickels and pennies are doing me well. 10 war nickels, 1 Buff in 7 boxes. 200 Wheats (1 unc), 1 IH, Wide AM 2000 and 1998 and some other varieties.

Anyways, I found this nickel. There is a thread (old) from here I actually read the same morning I found this! It was debated on here, as well as a prominent coin collecting forum as to what it is. Die clash or twice struck...

But as of a 2009 post on another forum, 4 or so were found and both those and this one are at the same slight rotation between the normal obv and the 'extra' reverse, and visa versa for the reverse of the coin... which would seem hard to do for a twice struck coin.

Not a mash job either since the other images go under the normal imprints and are not present on the high points.

Edit-
One link:
http://www.maddieclashes.com/ADC-5c-2000-02.html
I also included the link to the past Treasurenet post I referenced in a few posts down.
Anyone else found one??

Totally addicted to CRH... just sayin!

Attachments

• Rev.jpg
    Rev.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Obv.jpg
    Obv.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, is that cool or what? You just never know what is going to pop out of those rolls. Congrats!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know stuff like that can be PMD - but it sounds like you are aware of that Vice trick.

Hope it authenticates! nice work Buddy!

OP
OP
JustinNH

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know stuff like that can be PMD - but it sounds like you are aware of that Vice trick.

Hope it authenticates! nice work Buddy!

Yeah, on another place, someone was dead set on it being a vice or hammer job and people tried several ways to do it and all got it similar, but on the high points and not the low points, etc. I actually had 3 mint 2000Ps set aside to try as well, but then i found some things on it being authenticated as a true error from some knowledgeable people, of course I can ready all I want and it doesn't make it true until I get it authenticated in person

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just always stay reserved, modest, and inquisitive.

Worst case scenario - you have a Nickle.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pics, it appears that the extra images are indented. Since the dies would have to be indented as well to create the raised images in the coin, this would mean the nickel must have been pressed between two already minted coins as a blank planchet prior to getting minted. I thnk it had to be done prior to minting or it would show on the high points as well. At least that is my guess.

OP
OP
JustinNH

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just always stay reserved, modest, and inquisitive.

Worst case scenario - you have a Nickle.

true-- my investment in it is only 5 cents and worst case scenario, I broke even :thumbsup:

From the pics, it appears that the extra images are indented. Since the dies would have to be indented as well to create the raised images in the coin, this would mean the nickel must have been pressed between two already minted coins as a blank planchet prior to getting minted. I thnk it had to be done prior to minting or it would show on the high points as well. At least that is my guess.

Yeah, that was one of the big concerns in the past discussions I have read. People generally agreed it was not done post mint, but as to the exacts, its still up to some debate. I have seen at least 4 other examples and heard of a few more, so whatever happened, happened a bunch of times.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You originally posted 5 years ago......why havent you sent it off to be graded to get a definitive answer? Posting it all over the internet isnt going to get you the answers you want, pcgs or ngc will.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Apologies to the OP for millering, but the link posted by the OP mid-way has a response by MisterGee. For those that don't know, he had one of the most epic Franklin scores that I can remember. Take the time and search his posts in the archives.

OP
OP
JustinNH

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that wasn't my find years ago, just a thread I read the same day I found this one...which I thought was pretty strange timing wise.

I sent close up pictures to a well known error expert and he confirmed it is from the same 'batch' as the others and is legitimate. From what I read about him, I trust his opinion. I got an estimate that was better than I expected and will make it worth the cost of getting it slabbed at some point soon.

Which grading company do you all recommend, especially for error coins?

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any new updates on this Justin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread