Equinox 600 and extras- Is this a GOOD buy?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a guy with this setup,
Here's his ad: Basically new ML Nox 600 with 11" coil, 15" ML coil, Garrett pro-pointer AT, 2 hand diggers, detector bag, finds bag, lots of screen protectors, as well as a large modified razorback shovel. $1300 invested asking $700 cash.
After talking to him, he is willing to go $650- as pictured.
The ML warranty is valid (I checked) and transferrable, with 2 years remaining (04-12-19 purchase date). He paid partial cash with balance credit card, so IDK what kind of receipt I'd get- is that a prerequisite to use ML warranty?

Also, to make this more convoluted, I called the dealer he bought his from and they said that they have a 'holiday special' remaining that they would sell for $600 after mil. discount. I MAY have to pay taxes, IDK should've asked!
It's a NEW ML Nox 600 w/ a 6" coil, 1 digger, NO Pro-pointer AT, etc., also as pictured.

What do you guys think?
John

Attachments

• Minelab Equinox 600 w Accessories- used.jpg
    Minelab Equinox 600 w Accessories- used.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Minelab Equinox 600 Holiday Special.jpg
    Minelab Equinox 600 Holiday Special.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 37

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what he is giving you it sounds like a good deal, but nice to have that warranty from the dealer, if you dont need the other things I would be going new.

Carl

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. New ones are like under 600. And a 15% military discount.

I wouldn’t jump on this.

I have the 6” coil and wished I would have gotten the large one instead

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't jump on it. For over thirty years of digging, I had no pinpointer, no actual collecting bag, no hand tool, no dedicated detector shovel. I used an old Korean war entrenching tool, and finally graduated to a full sized shovel (farm fields), not lawns (except mine) Not parks. All those toys should be considered not-essential. I finally got a pinpointer about 9 years ago. And a dedicated shovel about 3 years ago.

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. New ones are like under 600. And a 15% military discount.

I wouldn’t jump on this.

I have the 6” coil and wished I would have gotten the large one instead

CoinFetcher, I haven't seen the Nox 600 for anything under $650 (except w/military discount). Where are you looking? Also, I was thinking bigger would cover a lot more ground, too. The 15" coils are $239 new, but I wonder how much the extra size would impact the weight and balance, does anyone have experience?

Anyway, I figured it at $551 (W/MD) + $239 = $790. It would only have two years of remaining warranty, but I haven't seen too many complaints about Minelab's quality- except maybe 'coil-ears'? Any other issues I hadn't heard about?

Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it!

Kinda a mixed reviews- like my thoughts, lol! Anyone else want to help tip the scales?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox 600 can be had new from one of our sponsors for less. Stick with the smaller stock coil until you get the hang of it. A larger coil adds weight and more times than not, it makes no difference in finds.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That big coil will kill your wrist. Use the stock coil. You might get a tad more depth with the larger coil, but if you have multiple targets under it, it will be a problem. For vacant farm fields, not a problem, for a park, big problem with the big coil.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d get the new one with the smaller coil and 3 year warranty. Never used the bag even though I have one. Probably should I guess.

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOW the pattern has definitely emerged. So I will get the brand-new one, IF I get it right now at all- since my wife has been reasoning with me about the 'COVID-19' issue. Maybe cheaper is better until I KNOW what my paycheck will look like the next few months. Appreciate the comments and advice! I guess I shoulda spent the money a couple of months ago. Strange days my friends, strange days...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get warranty on a used Minelab you just have to e-mail them with the serial number and they register it to the new owner's name. I did that on my used 800 last summer, was easy and quick. You do not need a receipt.

Faithx

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2020
Taylor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good deal, The pointer alone is worth $100+...The bag is close to$65 not to mention the detector and accessories. The main problem I'd have is that it is very sensitive equipment, you don't know how it was taken care of. It could have been dropped hard, tossed around. When it comes to sensitive equipment like this I personally would say "Buy New"...When you buy used you just never know, kinda like buying someone else's problem. Either I wish you the best with your decision. I'm also prior service "Army" I just want to say THANK YOU for your service :)

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank YOU for your service FaithX! I was Navy, but won't hold that against you sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread