gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty similar, they both sound like the ducks chasing the geese and chickens around the barnyard. Or Thelonius Monk on a bad day (or maybe a good day).

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am beginning to 'get' the sounds on the equinox, ??? the 50 tones really can sort things out, as the numbers seem a bit wonky to me..

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Irishgoldhound --

For me, I would say the sounds are "similar" in some ways, but different in other ways. It's hard to explain. Having detected with FBS machines for about 8 years prior to the Equinox (Explorers, and then the CTX 3030), I will say that the CTX is MUCH more similar to the Explorers/E-Trac sounds, than any of the FBS units are, to the Equinox. HOWEVER, there is definitely "Minelab DNA" in the Equinox tones. When running 50 tones on the Equinox (I ran the maximum tones on FBS also), many of the nuances -- the hints of when you have a junk target vs. a possible good target, etc. -- are very similar, at times, to FBS. In other words, if you are used to FBS, you will likely say at first "this sounds different," but then as you use it, alot of what you know about the audio clues in FBS, seem to "translate over" to the Equinox, and so you pick up the "basics" of the Equinox audio relatively quickly, as a result. But then, there are new things in the "dialect" of the Equinox's language that you will learn, over time, that are more unique to the Equinox itself.

I think that's how I would describe it...

Steve

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The FBS detectors is where I learned to decipher the “Minelab tones” (Excal) and that tone knowledge has translated over to other brands that can scratch and quack.
Believe it or not, the new Simplex reproduces those tones very similar to my Excals. For instance, the All Metal mode’s threshold sound is quite like the Excals. It’s like an old friend, very soothing.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Irishgoldhound --

For me, I would say the sounds are "similar" in some ways, but different in other ways. It's hard to explain. Having detected with FBS machines for about 8 years prior to the Equinox (Explorers, and then the CTX 3030), I will say that the CTX is MUCH more similar to the Explorers/E-Trac sounds, than any of the FBS units are, to the Equinox. HOWEVER, there is definitely "Minelab DNA" in the Equinox tones. When running 50 tones on the Equinox (I ran the maximum tones on FBS also), many of the nuances -- the hints of when you have a junk target vs. a possible good target, etc. -- are very similar, at times, to FBS. In other words, if you are used to FBS, you will likely say at first "this sounds different," but then as you use it, alot of what you know about the audio clues in FBS, seem to "translate over" to the Equinox, and so you pick up the "basics" of the Equinox audio relatively quickly, as a result. But then, there are new things in the "dialect" of the Equinox's language that you will learn, over time, that are more unique to the Equinox itself.

I think that's how I would describe it...

Steve

Thanks! I’ve watched and listened to some more vids and they sound sorta similar but the CTX sounds more fluty than the Nox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions