Equinox 800 Chatter 11/2023

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my last post in October, I mentioned Minelab had said the electronics in the control pod head on my 800 had corroded due to leakage from areas around the screws on the battery and headphone jack connection causing the chattering when it got warm. This happen even though I do not use my 800 in the water, just on the sandy beach.

I have spent the last week at the beach and have now used my new pod head for a total of about six hours, on four different beaches. The difference is amazing. I think my original 800 must have been gradually going bad and I just did not notice. I had gotten use to some chatter in the background and had just written it off to the beach and the environment. However, the new head is quiet with no obvious chatter and what a difference. I cannot image how much stuff I have missed on the beach assuming it was just background chatter. I really feel this new pod head works better than my original did when it was new.

I am posting this as a public service as a reminder to everyone to check your 800 and be sure the are no cracks in the pod head. Apparently, humidity can also cause the corrosion, as well water getting into the pod.

The attach image is what I have found on this trip. I will post this on in the Beach Finds forum as well, with more details of what I found.

Attachments

• Best 2.jpg
    Best 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my last post in October, I mentioned Minelab had said the electronics in the control pod head on my 800 had corroded due to leakage from areas around the screws on the battery and headphone jack connection causing the chattering when it got warm. This happen even though I do not use my 800 in the water, just on the sandy beach.

I have spent the last week at the beach and have now used my new pod head for a total of about six hours, on four different beaches. The difference is amazing. I think my original 800 must have been gradually going bad and I just did not notice. I had gotten use to some chatter in the background and had just written it off to the beach and the environment. However, the new head is quiet with no obvious chatter and what a difference. I cannot image how much stuff I have missed on the beach assuming it was just background chatter. I really feel this new pod head works better than my original did when it was new.

I am posting this as a public service as a reminder to everyone to check your 800 and be sure the are no cracks in the pod head. Apparently, humidity can also cause the corrosion, as well water getting into the pod.

The attach image is what I have found on this trip. I will post this on in the Beach Finds forum as well, with more details of what I found.
You wouldnt happen to have a picture as a reference for all of us who arent quite sure what they are looking for ??
Please

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wouldnt happen to have a picture as a reference for all of us who arent quite sure what they are looking for ??
Please
I am very sorry I do not. I was not aware of the cracks or leaks until I had sent my head to Minelab for possible repair and they told me about them. It seems there was a brass screw holding the battery charging connector in place and it tended to crack. They also said the head phone jack leaked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions