Equinox 800 fluty tone question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I came from 3 years using an AT Pro. So the audio term "flutly" is not well understood by me. After the update on my 800 some things have seemed to have changed for the better.
hunting today at a permission I have hunted twice before the update, I noticed that all my clad coins came in with a nice crisp tone in both directions. But a lot of trash had that fluty tone to it that I had not heard before. One reason may be that prior to today I hunted that property in 50 tone. Maybe 5 tone does not give out fluty tones? I was using the standard field 2 mode and I either use the standard 50 tone or changed it to 50.

So my question is on the 800 does the fluty tone in 50 tones indicate a bad target? or a good target? to me the good targets were crisp both ways. I passed on the fluty tones and didn't dig them. Was I mission good targets on the fluty tones? I know I should know the answer, and that is why I am asking the questions.

oh and one other change between the two hunts on the permission was the prior hunt was dry as a bone with rock hard dirt. today after the effects of hurricane Michael the ground was nice and moist. Would that affect the tone differences between the hunts?

thanks for any clarification.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came from 3 years using an AT Pro. So the audio term "flutly" is not well understood by me. After the update on my 800 some things have seemed to have changed for the better.
hunting today at a permission I have hunted twice before the update, I noticed that all my clad coins came in with a nice crisp tone in both directions. But a lot of trash had that fluty tone to it that I had not heard before. One reason may be that prior to today I hunted that property in 50 tone. Maybe 5 tone does not give out fluty tones? I was using the standard field 2 mode and I either use the standard 50 tone or changed it to 50.

So my question is on the 800 does the fluty tone in 50 tones indicate a bad target? or a good target? to me the good targets were crisp both ways. I passed on the fluty tones and didn't dig them. Was I mission good targets on the fluty tones? I know I should know the answer, and that is why I am asking the questions.

oh and one other change between the two hunts on the permission was the prior hunt was dry as a bone with rock hard dirt. today after the effects of hurricane Michael the ground was nice and moist. Would that affect the tone differences between the hunts?

thanks for any clarification.

Flutey tones in 50 tones typically happens because the VDI is unstable. In 50 tones, each tone is approximately mapped to a visual target ID number. If target ID does not lock in to a single number or varies by more than a couple digits you will get a flutey sound corresponding to the TID instability. 5 tones doesn't typically give flutey tones because each tone is typically associated with a large range of target IDs, though you can get the flutey effect (though less pronounced) if the target ID varies across a tone break (zincolns are notorious for this with the default 5 tone break around 20). Target ID instability is often (but not always) associated with junk targets, typically targets that are irregular in shape (e.g., can slaw, irregular iron items) or comprised of discrete ferrous and non-ferrous materials (e.g., bottle caps) or big iron. But edge-on clad coins, quarters (for some strange reason), and multi-denominational coin spills can also result in flutey tones. So the answer to the question "Does flutey tones...indicate a bad target?" as is often the case with detecting, is "It depends."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions