Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went on a short hunt Friday afternoon to an 1800s homesite off the beaten path. I have hunted this property a couple times in the past finding a few flat buttons, 4 Civil War era Eagle buttons, but no coins.

Not sure if I hit an area I missed before, but the 'nox delivered the goods. Two 2pc Eagle buttons, 1pc Eagle button (shame it has a hole punched in it), what I believe is a tombac button, a small flat button, small fancy button, an 1866 IHC and some kind of swivel device (for pocket watch/pendant?) Really appreciating how the Equinox locks on to solid targets such as coins and buttons. This thing is a monster!
image.png image.png image.png
Anyone have some ideas on how old the 1pc Eagle button is? Backmark reads Scovill Mfg Co Waterbury. Would love to see an image of a non dug example.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's a sniffer....

Great hunt and congrats!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice...settings?

OP
OP
I

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice...settings?
I loaded a coin program in park 1 (search YouTube for Minelab Equinox 800-setting up for coin hunting). Just a tone break/pitch & volume adjust. Multi frequency with no discrimination, 5 tone, recovery speed 6, iron bias 2, sensitivity 22.
I'm thinking of loading the same program in park 2 and tweaking some of the tone breaks. Dug a V nickel recently that was bouncing between 11-12 on target id. (Supposedly, nickels come in at 13) Not sure if it was on edge or other junk on the hole, but was about 7-8" deep.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the swivel thing is a pocket watch winder key. part of it is broken or rotted off.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loaded a coin program in park 1 (search YouTube for Minelab Equinox 800-setting up for coin hunting). Just a tone break/pitch & volume adjust. Multi frequency with no discrimination, 5 tone, recovery speed 6, iron bias 2, sensitivity 22.
I'm thinking of loading the same program in park 2 and tweaking some of the tone breaks. Dug a V nickel recently that was bouncing between 11-12 on target id. (Supposedly, nickels come in at 13) Not sure if it was on edge or other junk on the hole, but was about 7-8" deep.

If the V was toasted in the least, that would also affect VDI. Yeah, uncorroded modern nickels at reasonable will typically lock in at 13 but anywhere from 12-14 is reasoable depending in corrosion, depth, orientation.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great digs, Mark! SUPER!

Question, what's the difference between a Tombac button and a flat button? I thought they were the same, but you said you dug one of each?!

Also -- about the nickels, my nickels are usually solid 13 when shallow, and mostly 13 with some 12 bounces when deep. So today, I hit a sweet-sounding, rock-solid, never-wavering 12 ID, and figured I might have a gold ring! So, I pop the 4" to 5" deep target, and it is -- a 1950s Jefferson nickel! So, I set it on top of the ground to scan it...sure enough, SOLID 12 on the VDI. ??? That one has me puzzled a bit.

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs, Mark! SUPER!

Question, what's the difference between a Tombac button and a flat button? I thought they were the same, but you said you dug one of each?!

Also -- about the nickels, my nickels are usually solid 13 when shallow, and mostly 13 with some 12 bounces when deep. So today, I hit a sweet-sounding, rock-solid, never-wavering 12 ID, and figured I might have a gold ring! So, I pop the 4" to 5" deep target, and it is -- a 1950s Jefferson nickel! So, I set it on top of the ground to scan it...sure enough, SOLID 12 on the VDI. ??? That one has me puzzled a bit.

Steve

Steve,

Flat buttons can refer to any Colonial period flat or single piece button of any composition. Tombac is an alloy of copper and zinc and flat buttons of this alloy come out of the ground with a silverish or gunmetal appearance rather than greenish or brown like copper and brass. Tombac buttons are typically more brittle than brass or copper buttons so if they are hit by the plow or other hard object then they tend to break rather than bend.

HTH

BTW - Mark - forgot to congratulate you on the great finds. Nice saves.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AHH. Thank you kindly for the education, vferrari. I did not know about that distinction in metal composition in the "regular" flat buttons vs. the "Tombac" flat buttons.

"Typically more brittle..." gee, that's no surprise, given how copper-clad zinc pennies fare underground for any significant length of time! LOL!

Steve

OP
OP
I

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

Flat buttons can refer to any Colonial period flat or single piece button of any composition. Tombac is an alloy of copper and zinc and flat buttons of this alloy come out of the ground with a silverish or gunmetal appearance rather than greenish or brown like copper and brass. Tombac buttons are typically more brittle than brass or copper buttons so if they are hit by the plow or other hard object then they tend to break rather than bend.

HTH

BTW - Mark - forgot to congratulate you on the great finds. Nice saves.

V, thanks for the tombac explanation. Much better than I could have done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread