Equinox 800-won't find earring under any setting? Newbie

vellucci123

Jun 8, 2022
Hi, New to the forum from Northern Virginia and new to the hobby-Retired Age 67. I would appreciate your advice. Dropped a gold earring on a lawn two weeks ago-grass is very thick and they do not bag the grass clippings. So the earring is there. Bought a Nox 800 to find it and start my hobby (Great excuse for my wife) . I have the other earring. Trying to preset the Nox but I can't find a setting that picks it up. It weighs about 2.25 grams and measures .352 in. Is it too small? Using high sensitivity. Went through all the frequencies and the automated settings, yard, field, gold. It is 18k gold but it is also part ferrous as a magnet picks it up. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. earring.jpg Charlie K

Turn on, press the horseshoe button (turning off all discrimination) and then sweep it. It will pick it up.

You say it's "18k," but also magnetic; it sounds like "gold-plated," to me. In that case, it would likely be read by the machine in the "iron range" (negative numbers, most likely). And when you turn the machine on, the "iron range" is discriminated (the machine won't see a target that registers as iron). However, pressing the horseshoe button will turn off the iron discrimination, and at that point the machine will detect the target.

Steve

The Equinox will pick it up, but if it is sticking to a magnet it is mostly ferrous and will most likely be in the -9 to 0 range. Do you have that range discriminated out?

bbhchartequinox.jpg

The Equinox will pick it up, but if it is sticking to a magnet it is mostly ferrous and will most likely be in the -9 to 0 range. Do you have that range discriminated out?

bbhchartequinox.jpg
Thanks for the specific advice on the Equinox settings. I will give this a try. Machine is a bit intimidating for a new detectorist. But , I am a patient man. I'll let you know how I make out.

Turn on, press the horseshoe button (turning off all discrimination) and then sweep it. It will pick it up.

You say it's "18k," but also magnetic; it sounds like "gold-plated," to me. In that case, it would likely be read by the machine in the "iron range" (negative numbers, most likely). And when you turn the machine on, the "iron range" is discriminated (the machine won't see a target that registers as iron). However, pressing the horseshoe button will turn off the iron discrimination, and at that point the machine will detect the target.

Steve
Good advice! I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Steve
I took advantage of this lesson. Thank you for school me 😎👍🏽

There is A lot of knowledge on this forum

If you take off the fastener is it still magnetic? Does it seem to attract the pin more than the earring itself? I don't know ladies jewelry, but does the pin seem to be made of the same metal as the decorative part? I'm sure someone knows those answers.

If you take off the fastener is it still magnetic? Does it seem to attract the pin more than the earring itself? I don't know ladies jewelry, but does the pin seem to be made of the same metal as the decorative part? I'm sure someone knows those answers.
Thanks for the advice. I will check that out. The main body of the earring is a gold mesh and the ferrous part must be the post and backing.

have you tried a factory reset

What about trying a magnet on the one you have? Smaller coil?
Jon 8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back