tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time for another test.
Some folks think all old coins are deep. Maybe so, maybe not.
I have found some old coins shallow.
Cal Cobra has admitted here he has found some older nice finds shallow.

This test here compares Minelab Etrac (Stock coil) and Xp Deus wearing both a 9" LF coil and a 11" LF coil, and the Equinox wearing stock dd 11" coil.
20hax4n.jpg

You will notice in pic a small blue cap.
Beneath it lies a clad dime approx 5" deep.
All detectors detect this dime with tone and proper ID with none of the maskers present.
The black spots, look close, a few pull rings with tabs, a nail, and a steel bottle cap.

So what about trying to detect this mere 5" deep clad dime with the maskers you see in pic?

Etrac, no cigar. Nothing telling me higher conductor exist. Tried all kinds of settings and programs. Highest meter reading seen 34 conductive.

What about DEUS wearing 11" LF coil? I cannot get Deus to tell me a higher conductor exist tonally or with a meter reading.
Highest numbers seen in screen are about 15 points below what's clad dime reads.

What about Deus wearing 9" LF coil?
Believe it or not the same as results using 11" LF coil with one exception.
I can go to reactivity setting 2 and hover coil over dime from one angle and get tone and ID in meter. I cannot with sweeps get any Intel to tell me dime(higher conductor) exist.

What about Equinox with its stock coil?
Park 2 speed. 7 multi freq, from best angle sweeping the setup, I get tone and ID to boot telling me higher conductor exists. Meter reading or 23-25 on sweeps.

Another test.
Simple one.
Compared Deus wearing 9" and 11" LF coil, Etrac with stock oil, Equinox with stock coil.

n2lveh.jpg

A clad dime and pull ring with tab attached.
Swinging left to right, right to left.
Etrac fails to tell me dime is there. Highest conductive reading in screen on sweeps 25.

Deus wearing 11" LF coil.
Tried all settings I know of,no dice. Highest meter reading achieved is substantially below what a higher conductor reads on Deus meter.
Using 9" LF coil, same as noted with 11" LF coil, with one exception. I can do hover sweeps over dime and get a reading close to what higher conductor would read and sound like. But again sweeps won't expose the dime. Forget to say using both LF coils reactivity 3 necessary to get a tone on each object (showing 2 nonferrous in fact exist.

Equinox park2 speed 7 I can sweep and hear tone on dime and see short duration reports of 22,23,24 being seen in meter- denoting presence of higher conductor.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Interesting. Hard to believe, but interesting. I have had Deus since Version 1, Etrac for 4 or 5 years before that. I can't imagine either of them not going nuts over a clad dime in that situation. IIRC you've even done videos of Deus hitting in much worse scenarios than that. Not saying I don't believe your results, seems like simple target to hit though. I've pulled high conductors out of burn piles with Etrac and I'd think Deus would be machine gunning that dime. No wonder every time someone takes a new machine to previously hunted area they always make new finds, every machine sees the ground differently. Strange one for sure.

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great test! Thanks! Some old coins are definitely shallow, I found a 1810 Napoleon the first 1 franc at only half an inch!! I think it was masked because there was a horseshoe only a few inches behind it. Thankfully I decided that day I was going to dig almost everything.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly what scared me away from VDI to begin with. I experienced same results in the field granted with a much cheaper F22. If a dime is a solid 68 alone the pull tap would cause it to jump all of the place maybe 35 to 55 or it would read the 1st target and the recovery time is too slow to even see the second.(maybe this is why the equinox is passing the test) If I was in a trashy area I would probably get tired and pass these signals over. If I was at an old site I dig it all...usually. The Tesoro would pass this test though of course no VDI so could be a quarter, Dime, funky piece of iron, who knows but I would put the recovery time up against almost any detector.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thought I would check back here today and see if this was some kind of early April fools joke?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread