Equinox finds Spanish treasure!

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week, my son and I went on another ā€œTreasure Coastā€ trip, this time armed with our new Equinox 800ā€™s.

Our last trip to St. Augustine had me finding the only ā€œold coinā€, an 8 Reale, that I was sure was authentic, but my 21 yo son had the opposite opinion. For the last 6 months, I have been hearing it from him about my ā€œlead slugā€.

Fast forward to last week. Itā€™s about 11:30 pm on 3/27, and he comes up from behind me and tells me he found a ā€œfakeā€ coin, and not so jokingly accuses me of planting it, so he could have the heart attack/heart break of finding a worthless piece of junkā€¦ So, Sam pulls the ā€œcoinā€ out of his junk pouch so we can both give it a better look.

Upon inspection of the coin, its mint appearance gave the impression of a newly minted souvenir, but the coins details were so fine, and weight so heavy, we really did not know what to think. Back at the hotel we researched, compared pictures of actual coins, and did everything we could at 3 am to prove or disprove its origin.

The next morning we went to the West Bay Trading Company in Vero Beach to have the coin seen by folks who know much more than we do. The guys at West Bay were really helpful, determined that the gold content is just under 90%. 21 carat (by all records we found, 87.5 % was what the coin were supposed to be), Both Ron and Scott looked at the coin in disbelief of the condition, and determined that it was indeed genuine, and Scott, with his loop, discovered that the date was an over stamp 1787 over a 6. We were advised to have the coin graded and slabbed, and that is where it sits now.

Needless to say, we had a great trip. The Equinox has proved to be a great, fast, deep machine. Small brass/bronze/copper bits at 8 to 12 inches ring up VERY loud and clear on the wet sand (Beach 2), leaving no doubt that you have a non-ferrous item under the coil. Yes, aluminum rings up as well, but as we all know, that is just the cost of doing businessā€¦ Battery run time is all of 10 hours plus, the wireless headphones worked well, the backlight on its lowest setting is perfect, and the machine preformed very quietly in the dry sand, and even in the surf. Very happy with the Equinox!

Attachments

• 7A4ACAE3-473C-4D01-8171-5C44ECA0EAD2.jpeg
    7A4ACAE3-473C-4D01-8171-5C44ECA0EAD2.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Upvote 59

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
4 escudos with a Madrid mint mark....Mexico City mint would be more plausible if it were an older drop. it does have damage on the rim that COULD be from a mounting, but not definable. nice coin, there is one on ebay right now in that condition for nearly 1800$

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every detectorists dream right there.
Wow Congratulations to you both!
:occasion14:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remarkable! Your son and the EQ800 deserve it's place as a BANNER find! Congrats.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. I just saw another gold coin come out looking like that. Amazing.
No Wait. Iā€™ve never ever seen a beach coin like that.
Simply amazing. Maybe it was buried in a
Sand free salt free chest that broke open and it tumbled to shore that day.
What a great find. I vote banner all day. !!

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is killer!! Banner all day!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at some of the gold coins recovered from the Atocha and tell me the can't be in the ocean that long (or longer) and look that nice. Outstanding find, a once in a lifetime coin and a bucket list item to be sure.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to say I am a tad bit skeptical of this find due to the condition the coin vs where it was found.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a Great find, I'm very jelly. I've seen the pix of the gold coins found just a few years back on the Treasure Coast, a few of them were worth over 100,000 a piece. They came out of the sand , they were in salt water resting on the bedrock.
https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/world/2015/08/19/32005107/

I'm voting banner

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lmao. WHY IN THE WORLDwould someone put that in the trash pouch.
Thatā€™s funny ��

OP
OP
muttandjeeps

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao. WHY IN THE WORLDwould someone put that in the trash pouch.
Thatā€™s funny šŸ˜„

It was ā€œtoo nice to be realā€, I think was his quote at the time. And after my fiasco last trip with the un-real Reale, and the fact that at the time, he suspected me of putting it there to ā€œgetā€ him.
Neither one of us believed it was an actual coin, beacause we ā€œwere sureā€ that nothing that nice could come out of the sand.....Itā€™s funny how sometimes we get a good lesson on how much we donā€™t know šŸ˜„

BTW, here is the fake Reale I got 6 months of crap for....

Attachments

• 17892AD0-9294-4F77-94CA-8E6086D564C5.jpeg
    17892AD0-9294-4F77-94CA-8E6086D564C5.jpeg
    621.1 KB · Views: 75

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread