Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someday there will be a machine thats affordable that can give a image of the target. I eliminate pull top range in some areas but other spots wide open. Its a fun hobby just the anticipation of whats the next signal. Tell ya many people Ive seen buy detecters and when they dont find treasure right away give up and get mad and sell there machine. I love the hobby and have found lots of gold and silver and lots more trash and still enjoy every hunt......

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a hobby for the lazy, thats for sure.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don’t dig the trash you will never know what the good targets are telling you.

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,, my point was, the Minelab Equinox range is being marketed as being 'latest tech' with 'multi frequency' etc... That is why i bought it. Nobody expects to get away with no trashy digs, and to state that is buiding a strawman. The machine is supposed to be a step up from the previous generations of mid range detectors, this is where i feel it is misleading, for in reality it offers very little advantage, perhaps a slight depth gain, and the ability to tweak it into oblivion..
Nobody expects magic, just some better iron/junk discrimination, we all know the junk - treasure equation, and the old cliches, "if you don't dig" etc...
Equinox has changed nothing, in my opinion.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the Equinox is not latest tech. The Nokta Invenio is. However at $5k, most folks won't get one. It's main drawback is the two box system and speed. With that being said, I am expecting someone somewhere to develop something much better in the next few years. We'll have to wait and see.

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember discussing this with you before,and have concluded that i think i made a bad choice and should have bought the XP product..
Learning the lesson the hard way.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trash, that would be the stuff in the 5 gallon bucket in the back of my truck. I fill it up and then get another bucket out of my supply. Eventually I make sure that I have separated the metals good enough and then it is a trip to the salvage yard. I am getting better at IDing some of the trash and am pretty sure of what it is when I dig it but some areas scream dig it anyways. I have been working on my "Pull tab/ring" section of my permission for almost 3 threes now. It still has hundreds of them scattered in it but I thin out a few here and there. The plus side, several cool relics and more old coins plus a gold ring in the process. I dig a handful knowing that they are most likely going to trash in this area but who knows since I have dug pulls from 9 to 21 here, also the same numbers as wheaties and IHP and nickels etc. Have even had some banging hits that I just knew had to be a good target only to get a pull or part of a pull. Besides, I have had a few people that have seen me digging here that had thoughts of doing the same until they look into the bucket and I show them what is in my bag. I don't want the competition here because I don't want any complaints from the owners about the holes left or the messes. Plus, since I am now keeping worms that I find, it helps make a poor hole a better hole for me LOL. And I too wish that the number scale went up to a 100 instead of 50. Although that would just spread out the range of the pulls that I find. I am always surprised here when a 12 is actually a nickel.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember discussing this with you before,and have concluded that i think i made a bad choice and should have bought the XP product..
Learning the lesson the hard way.

Looking back, it appears that you have had your Equinox for just a few weeks now. I don't know how many hours you have put on it, but I can tell you that it does take some time to fully learn it and become proficient with it. The Equinox may not be for everyone, so you could always sell it and get the Deus XP, or go back to your Ace 250. The EQ800 has been a game changer for me, I've had mine for 10 months now. Sorry for your disappointment, but regardless of what you end up with you're still gonna dig some trash. That's just the way it is in this hobby.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a product that was being advertised by the company.....pretty sure they're not going to say, ...we just developed this "new" version of multi frequency. It's pretty terrible but buying one is a great idea!

Kuiu

Greenie
Jan 2, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Excalibur II
Garrett ATX
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As High VDI and Cuda said, no machine can disc out non-ferrous trash (aluminum screw caps (duh), pull tabs, copper nails (seriously?), shotgun shells (again seriously?), ), that is just physics.

Regarding iron nails, a lot of complaining but no mention of whether iron bias (especially the new more effective F2 setting) is being used. Please post back once you all get a handle on how to properly set up the machine to mitigate falsing. Minelab provided the features, but only you can choose to use them.

The Equinox is not Harry Potter's magic wand, it is just a vlf detector, and like all induction balance machines has limitations and can't work miracles. Learn a little about the physics of the detector and then you won't look so foolish complaining about things that cannot be solved with this type of technology multi frequency or not. Multifrequency merely helps with salt balancing on the beach and enables a broader range of targets to be ID'd at depth without the limitations inherent in single frequency machiens. This means it should hit about as well on gold jewelry and mid-conductive brass and lead relics as well as it does on silver coins, where single frequency machines tend to favor one or the other depending on the operating frequency it uses. It also means that mid-conductive brass and aluminum junk (shotgun shells and pull tabs and screw caps) are also going to get pinged as well. Gaining some experience with the machine to understand the tonal nuances that occur with irregularly shaped junk, use of the pinpointer to get clues as to the footprint of the target (so you know the difference between a quarter and an aluminum beer can which will ring up similarly) and multi mode interrogation techniques can up your treasure to trash ratio a little, but if you expect any machine to tell you the difference between a shotgun shell and civil war coat button, please reset your expectations and take a reality check that with detecting practically nothing is 100% certain and always involves balancing tradeoffs.

No one likes to show their trash pile when showing off their keepers, so some less experienced folks get the false impression that no one but them is digging trash out there. Uh, nope.

Gotta take the good...

View attachment 1777654

View attachment 1777656

With the bad...

View attachment 1777658

View attachment 1777653

View attachment 1777657

I guess my NEW Member status gives you a big pedestal to stand on? You think and assume no one knows anything about anything? Nobody said anything about iron nails. F2 really?? We all updated our machines on the same day (The First day it came out). But, only you know how it works, only you know how to set it up. Only you know anything about physical metallurgy. Only you know how to check a target footprint. Your narcissistic assumptions are baffling. Why don't you tell us all about the tonal nuances with the Nox. You have years of experience with the Nox and have owned it longer then anyone. So tell us all about the tonal nuances with the Nox and the different metals. Mr. Charter Member/Siver Member guy. We are all listening now. Describe to us the tonal nuances of Said metals and the good targets.

Kuiu

Greenie
Jan 2, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Excalibur II
Garrett ATX
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently some of you think the Equinox is magical. Only finding the good stuff, and leaving the rest in the ground? Not gonna happen! If it sounds even questionably good, DIG IT! Yeah your gonna dig some trash, there's no way around it. 90% of the time I can call an aluminum screw cap, or even a rusty crown cap. On the other 10% I still sometimes get a nice surprise. I still dig them out though to not only clean them out of the site, but sometimes they are in the upper layer and can be laying over the top of something else older and deeper that might be awesome. Hunt in 50 tones, and learn to wiggle the coil side to side over a target. Doing this will help, but it's not a tell all.

90% of the time (aluminum screw cap)? Describe how you do that? Wiggle? Like Waggle? Like my driver on the golf course? You can call a rusty crown cap? Man, you are good. You really know how to use that F2. We have expert here.

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kuiu
don't get your back up...
Some people impart their knowledge in a manner that seems arrogant, others just can't admit that the product that they 'for some reason' love isn't really that good..
There is a lot of good info on here and the guys/gals know their stuff, but the Equinox really seems to hit a nerve... I have had quite a few chats about it's ability, it's build quality and so on... It has a big fanbase and in their eyes it can do no wrong.
I pondered, then bought it , was excited... probably close to 100 hours on it now,(if you include fiddling and testing it) 12hrs this weekend and am still really underwhelmed by it. It is fragile, wobbly and sensitive to every twig on the ground. The updates did nothing except change some numbers, i mean you either want to find Iron or you don't, so having a crazy complicated way of discriminating Iron is totally against logic, if you want to find nail, use the horsehoe, if not turn it off (seems more logical to me) Iron bias ?? it's just rubbish talk...
Basically from minus numbers up to 33 could be anything you can imagine, in my experience... Wiggling and all these 'advanced' :laughing7: experience gained techniques which are beyond us noobs, don't fix the problem.
I will continue to use the equinox, because i am not a quitter,, but i fell slightly duped by the hype..

Kuiu

Greenie
Jan 2, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Excalibur II
Garrett ATX
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to clarify my post. I travel to boat only remote locations. I generally set up a four season tent for 3-5 days and hunt 100% at night. There are very few people that would do what I do. I just finished hunting a ghost town. Research shows it dates back to 18th century but I found no proof. On my second hole I found an IHP 19th Century. After that it was 25 hours of digging trash. So to say I lost some confidence in my ability to read the Nox is an understatement after 14 months using it. I have researched everything I can find on the Nox and still do. That's why I chimed in on this thread to get some information I might not have. So spare the NEW Member a lecture on trash, being lazy, or not knowing anything about detecting or the Nox. If you have some information that is not easily found on youtube or forums or basic internet searches then share it. Otherwise spare everyone the self-righteous comments and *iss off.

Kuiu

Greenie
Jan 2, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Excalibur II
Garrett ATX
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kuiu
Some people impart their knowledge in a manner that seems arrogant, others just can't admit that the product that they 'for some reason' love isn't really that good..
There is a lot of good info on here and the guys/gals know their stuff, but the Equinox really seems to hit a nerve... I have had quite a few chats about it's ability, it's build quality and so on... It has a big fanbase and in their eyes it can do no wrong.
I pondered, then bought it , was excited... probably close to 100 hours on it now,(if you include fiddling and testing it) 12hrs this weekend and am still really underwhelmed by it. It is fragile, wobbly and sensitive to every twig on the ground. The updates did nothing except change some numbers, i mean you either want to find Iron or you don't, so having a crazy complicated way of discriminating Iron is totally against logic, if you want to find nail, use the horsehoe, if not turn it off (seems more logical to me) Iron bias ?? it's just rubbish talk...
Basically from minus numbers up to 33 could be anything you can imagine, in my experience... Wiggling and all these 'advanced' :laughing7: experience gained techniques which are beyond us noobs, don't fix the problem.
I will continue to use the equinox, because i am not a quitter,, but i fell slightly duped by the hype..

Watch out for F2 high settings in trashy areas. It has a problem with unmasking/masking as demonstrated by Calabash Digger. I have tested it as well. F2 9 will cause you to walk over good targets in machine gun iron.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Kuiu

20191201_173401.jpg

I just dug this colonial flat button a week ago at an old site where everything above iron must be dug. Why? This great piece that we tied into the sites original owner rang up like.....A tab! 16 VDI. The condensed vdi scale is a moot point IMO since it's all just a "range".

A week before that I dug another very old silver cuff link that rings up a 14! Another copper cuff link with fancy design on it a....6! Some trimes will even beep low.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for F2 high settings in trashy areas. It has a problem with unmasking/masking as demonstrated by Calabash Digger. I have tested it as well. F2 9 will cause you to walk over good targets in machine gun iron.

To help mitigate that situation, I run the recovery speed up to 7 or 8 and slow my swing speed. I also will use the 6" coil in many instances. I haven't found total masking to be a problem yet. Usually I get a squeak in there somewhere to let me know something non-ferrous is hiding.

Last edited:

Kuiu

Greenie
Jan 2, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Excalibur II
Garrett ATX
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you comment on the obvious Mexican Mint Spanish Coin?? Nope and neither did anyone else. That was found right next to it. The coin was found right where it was suppose to be. IMG_5266.JPG

If you cant see the obvious women holding a baby that's fine. Its 100% NOT Aluminum. Found on remote beach in 6" of wet sand where it was suppose to be found.

But you fan boys see a guy with his Big TreasureNet credentials posting a coin that is 100% unidentifiable claiming it fell out of Capt. Kidds pocket in the 1600's and go ape $%it.

I hope you get some ocean front property really soon.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No machine can eliminate all trash period. Some people have better knowledge of the Nox with being able to ID trash better than alot of us I live in a Town that didnt have battles though I would argue there are plenty of great locations for one lolI Im more of a coin shooter and set my machine for high tones for coins and silver because I have a hard time finding time to detect and when I have a few hours I search for coins if I get a solid low Aluminum signal Ill dig it every once in a while its all up to the person and what you like to look for. I have a blast finding coins and some rings here and there. No machine will eliminate trash period. Even the ones where you might be able to tell a pop top easier I promise some of those are rings. I set mine for coins mostly and have fun every time I go out. I think there are lots of very smart people on here and have alot of good knowledge of the Nox I try to read and learn from them, the Nox has lots of settings and Im still learning them it will take a while.I go out many many times with out finding silver but Im ok with that cause I will get my coil over it sooner or later and its fun. I would suggest asking some of the people on here for suggestions on settings and for advice I do it all the time. I still am using park 1 with a few tweaks and Im happy with that for now and have found lots of silver takes patience...I dont own a deuce or a 30 30 but Ill bet its the same alot to learn and still you will dig trash. Good luck and take an open mind to suggestions!!!!!!!Tommmy

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you comment on the obvious Mexican Mint Spanish Coin?? Nope and neither did anyone else. That was found right next to it. The coin was found right where it was suppose to be. View attachment 1777956

If you cant see the obvious women holding a baby that's fine. Its 100% NOT Aluminum. Found on remote beach in 6" of wet sand where it was suppose to be found.

But you fan boys see a guy with his Big TreasureNet credentials posting a coin that is 100% unidentifiable claiming it fell out of Capt. Kidds pocket in the 1600's and go ape $%it.

I hope you get some ocean front property really soon.

You seem very angry. Most people here are here to help. Sorry your frustrated with the Nox. I was that way with the AT Max. To me 50% of this hobby is what you are comfortable swinging. Take care.

Edit to 50% haha

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread