No issues with my EQ800 in the surf.

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an EQ600, I live in Hawaii and there is always a decent amount of surf detector works great here where some other "beach" detectors have not.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be in Panama City Beach in 2 weeks for 10 days. I will post a couple of replies on this thread to update you on my experiences.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on my experience in FL and SC, The only mode for running salt water is Beach 2. It dials back the transmit power to reduce the salt response.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve seen a lot of info about the equinox in saltwater and that it performs well but most of it has been in calm bay waters. Does anyone have any experience using it in the surf with waves and water moving in and out over the coil?

I will have it in big surf over the next three weeks. Will get back. Dave

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve seen a lot of info about the equinox in saltwater and that it performs well but most of it has been in calm bay waters. Does anyone have any experience using it in the surf with waves and water moving in and out over the coil?

It works as well as any other detector in waves/surf...frustrating, hard to move, falses when waves go over you, etc. I do it on really hot days during the week but even on a really calm day shallow water beach hunting is a tough gig

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a lot of respect for those of you that have the guts and determination to detect in the Atlantic and Pacific :notworthy:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Light as a feather, no falsing here running at 20. Slightly harder to push thru the surf than the excal with a straight shaft but what can you do? Seems slightly bouyant maybe its just the strap I have on it. Never had anything run so smooth in the water. On beach 2.

OP
OP
metalhealth

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Light as a feather, no falsing here running at 20. Slightly harder to push thru the surf than the excal with a straight shaft but what can you do? Seems slightly bouyant maybe its just the strap I have on it. Never had anything run so smooth in the water. On beach 2.

That’s good to know. I never really experienced much falsing with the excal, just change in the threshold when waves went over. I know it will be hard for any detector to live up to the excal in the surf. It’s hard to resist going out into the waves when it’s not too rough tho!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of respect for those of you that have the guts and determination to detect in the Atlantic and Pacific :notworthy:

Thank you! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread