Equinox or AT

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Equinox 800 by a mile. I had the AT Pro and for 2 years and found alot, but since I got this detector last month I have went over spots I did when I had the AT Pro, and found stuff within feet of the holes that had been dug. The AT just doesnt have the depth or the target recovery speed the equinox does. Plus wireless headphones are nice, and the availability to make custom programs and updates that the AT just cannot do.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox by far. I don't regret selling the AT Pro I had one bit.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Equinox by far. I don't regret selling the AT Pro I had one bit.
Haha people don't understand the difference until u use a true multi frequency detector, with an amazing iron bias and I cant even explain to.the people who havent used one the target separation that u get with the equinox.

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the equinox 600?

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still better than AT by a long shot, target separation is amazing as well it just doesnt have the advanced settings that the 800 does. But still just as deep and lightyears better than AT. I'm not here to knock garrett because I love them but I know from firsthand experience I'm the field that the equinox whether its 600 or 800 is far superior to the AT Pro.

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One note here, and I have both machines. the AT is probably easier to learn if one has never detected before. The ATs also have a much wider selection of coils available making them more versatile in their own environment. The Nox will kick it's butt in salt, highly mineralized ground, and gold nugget hunting, but folks who know their ATs well will out hunt Nox users who don't in everyday hunting. There are a lot of used ATs on the market for short money, partially due to the Nox and Simplex sales and it is a good way to get into the hobby for less money than a new Nox.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha correct u are, I just wish the OP would have gotten ahold of me a month ago I would have gave him a great deal a year and a half old AT Pro for 325.

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m in southeast Iowa

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good place to hunt, Arkansas here whatever u decide on get ahold of me or the other guy responding to u and we can help u out on some setups on equinox or how to use the AT pro for whatever u detecting u decide on doing.

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll keep in touch thanks

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned an At Pro for several years before getting my EQ 800. I did make some pretty decent finds with it, but the Equinox truly does run circles around it. What has made a difference for me is depth, and it has much better target separation at depth. I typically hunt in some really trashy spots, and the EQ with the stock 11" coil does a far better job than the AT with the 5x8".

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I owned an At Pro for several years before getting my EQ 800. I did make some pretty decent finds with it, but the Equinox truly does run circles around it. What has made a difference for me is depth, and it has much better target separation at depth. I typically hunt in some really trashy spots, and the EQ with the stock 11" coil does a far better job than the AT with the 5x8".
Exactly I like hunting old bulldozed homesites, AT Pro no matter how much disc I used could never kill out the nails and iron like the NOX can, plus I could put 3 targets side by side and on the AT u may get 2 of the signals if u were lucky it didnt turn it into 1 solid signal haha. I have recovery speed at 5 on NOX and could tell u what all 3 signals were. I kno people will argue use a smaller coil on the AT but why would u when the stock 11 on the minelab separates so much better.

wilcam47

Dec 29, 2019
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the Equinox a good all area type Metal detector? Ive seen many say you are going to need different machines for different areas and such? Im new to Metal detecting...Ive dug bottles mostly.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is the Equinox a good all area type Metal detector? Ive seen many say you are going to need different machines for different areas and such? Im new to Metal detecting...Ive dug bottles mostly.
I've detected civil war campsites, parks,beaches,creeks and home sites for 20 plus years and the equinox will do them all and more. Plus the ability to use it underwater separates it from alot of others.

wilcam47

Dec 29, 2019
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've detected civil war campsites, parks,beaches,creeks and home sites for 20 plus years and the equinox will do them all and more. Plus the ability to use it underwater separates it from alot of others.

so is the Equinox 800 a good one? I know theres different versions. Which do you have?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Owning a separate detector to specialize in each type of hunting is "old school" The EQX changed that. Different hunting modes, each with its own unique multi-freq design, plus selectable single freqs, plus being waterproof, its the most "all around" detector the hobby has ever seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread