Equinox S-Shaft Please

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's buried in another thread, but I think it deserves its own thread: IMO, the Equinox needs an S-shaft. I'm hoping to compile some info here to get this sorted out. I tested a Whites S-Shaft on my Nox a few days ago and found that it significantly balances the swing and eliminates the coil from rocking. Unfortunately, the Whites shafts are not a proper fit (I had to use duct tape and extra rubber washers to test it), so I am looking for ideas to get a proper fit S-Shaft for the Nox.

First idea is to simply find someone with a pipe bender to modify the current middle shaft. However this would eliminate the top two locking pin holes on the middle shaft and I am concerned it might even split the pipe because of them. Not sure. Thoughts?

Second is someone on another forum suggested trying a Fisher F75 S-Shaft and that it might fit the Nox. Anyone have both to compare?

Third, I have emails out to the custom detector shaft makers and am awaiting replies to see what they say.

Nox-1.jpg

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see something hit the market. This is pretty much the one single thing I don't like about the Equinox.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I hate S-shafts, I like straight shafts.

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I hate S-shafts, I like straight shafts.

Yep, I know some people replace their S-Shafts with straight-shafts on their Whites machines and like them much better. Different strokes... The Equinox could also have a mixed preference, though I suspect that, based on the difference I felt, more would prefer the S.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the first things I thought of as well. It looks so much better with an S rod too. I'm changing the arm rest too. Something more comfortable like the Makro Racer has

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the S rod from the X-terra series?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I want the 6” coil before I try any shaft replacements. Straight shaft in Carbon Fiber from Plugger or Anderson would be perfect for my needs.

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, unfortunately, different diameters. I took the middle shaft to a shop that bends lots of pipes and tubes and they told me two problems with trying to bend the stock shaft. First, the male insert would likely crack at the joint. (Do they install those male inserts after bending S-shaft tubes then?) Second, the tubing is at risk of splitting/cracking at the top two locking tab holes. Basically, it could be done, but it might come out really ugly or useless. Without a backup, I'll wait to hear from the custom shaft guys before trying anything.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the day i got my E-trac i have asked the question over and over again. How can these people continue to make a machine that out performs so many other brands yet completely misses the mark on balance and ergonomics? Its like they have the worlds best electronics engineers creating the electronic functions of the machine and Fred Flintstone using sticks and rocks to put it all together. :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an ETrac for years, weight was never an issue as I always use a harness. (Better to light a candle, than curse the dark) LOL

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How easily will the control box come off the existing shaft?

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
☠ Cipher;5733073 said:
How easily will the control box come off the existing shaft?

Easy. 4 hex screws and it pops right off.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy. 4 hex screws and it pops right off.

True, but you need a hole to accommodate the locking insert on the lower plastic piece that keeps it from rotating radially and sliding axially if you want to install it on another shaft, right?

OP
OP
Echoplex

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, but you need a hole to accommodate the locking insert on the lower plastic piece that keeps it from rotating radially and sliding axially if you want to install it on another shaft, right?

Yes there is a positioning pin in the bottom handle piece that fits into a hole in the shaft, so drilling a hole is necessary to either slide it up or back, or secure it to another shaft.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want the 6” coil before I try any shaft replacements. Straight shaft in Carbon Fiber from Plugger or Anderson would be perfect for my needs.

I don't like 11" or 6" coils, I prefer the old reliable 8" coils. I likely won't buy an Equinox until NEL or preferably CoilTech (I asked Minelab and they said none were planned) come out with a nice 8" coil. Sounds like a machine I'd love to own though!!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found the Equinox a bit wobbly as you said... it's actually sort of tiring to keep the coil level. Holding lower helps. I have no doubt the s-shaft would fix it.

But, I found that shortening the shaft so that I could run my arm almost straight made it much more comfortable and less wobble.

I usually run the coil very close in front of my feet anyway so this is normal for me.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shortened up the coil stem and moved up the arm rest and feel it is balanced pretty well for me, but I'm also a short guy. That being said, with the self-contained control head, it should be an easy thing for ML or a third party to offer up an S-Shaft option.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S-shaft and some CoilTeck coils would be great. A 5x10 elliptical DD and a 17" monster are my interested 2 lol.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like a 5x10 DD solid coil but at this point would settle for ML releasing the 6" round they already promised.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread