IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome David, thanks for seeing that! If it’s one thing I take away from those directions....be careful with your bung!:laughing7:

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome David, thanks for seeing that! If it’s one thing I take away from those directions....be careful with your bung!:laughing7:

Big 10-4 on being careful with the bung.:laughing7:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. Where would one go about obtaining a new battery? Does it have to come from Minelab?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone had to replace a battery yet? Mine still holds a charge for at least 10 hours and it's over a year and 9 months old, and has been used and recharged, on average, 3 times a week since then.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I went directly to the manufacturer, they wanted to know how many THOUSAND I wanted to purchase and set up an account.
Of course thy did not mention pricing without having an account. There is some information but with 3 wires it probably has protection circuits under the shrink tube wrap. I guess no one has stripped down a battery pack yet. If they have I could not find it. I would guess there will be aftermarket battery similar to the Excalibur battery replacements. 50 hours of run time on an Excalibur, is a no brainer at half the price of an OEM pack.

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Thanks Dave as that is nice to know.
I have two question’s.
1. It doesn’t say anything about cleaning the seal and the seal location and would it be a good idea to lubricate the seal and where it is wire dialectic grease to keep it moist so it doesn’t dry out.
2. A ball park figure on the cost of new batteries.

Doug

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't need to replace a battery on this new a series of machines. Maybe your bung went bad...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave as that is nice to know.
I have two question’s.
1. It doesn’t say anything about cleaning the seal and the seal location and would it be a good idea to lubricate the seal and where it is wire dialectic grease to keep it moist so it doesn’t dry out.
2. A ball park figure on the cost of new batteries.

Doug

Yes, if you remove it, you should gently clean the o-rings and the battery port the hold slides into. The only thing you should re-lubricate the o-rings with is a VERY light coating of silicone grease.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Here's a question to the battery, techies here. Are there possible gotchas with this battery type concerning leaving them on a charger for a long time? Also, is there a no-no concerning running them flat? Seems frequent that there are some issues with any rechargeable battery types.

Is it possibly best to not top these batteries off after just short hunts?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've forgotten and left mine on the charger for several days on occasion, and I recharge it after every hunt (regardless of the length of time I hunted). No issues so far. My understanding is that these batteries have no problem giving them a partial charge. As for running them flat.......how do you do that? The detector goes dead when it drains down to the recharge point.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have mentioned, you don't need to be overly cautious with charging and discharging the Equinox cell based on the built-in protective circuits that preclude overcharging and over discharging the cell into areas where the cell can be damaged. Just top it off and leave it be. The only time you can get into real trouble is if you attempt to charge the battery on the fly in overly cold weather. The Equinox allows you to charge the battery on the fly while detecting by using a power bank or similar power source, presumably secured to your detector in some manner. If you decide to do this (I have never been in a situation where the Equinox battery depleted even during an all day hunt as long as I charged it the night before so I have not done "on the fly" charging) - be advised that you should not attempt charging a Li Ion battery when the ambient temperature is less than 32F. Permanent damage to the Li electrolyte can result, ruining the battery in the process. So don't charge the battery outside of the posed charge temperature range in the user guide. You can operate the Equinox at lower temperatures, you just should not be charging the battery under those conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread