All Treasure Hunting

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If bought new from a reputable vendor then it will most likely be fully updated.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought mine in Dec. from a reputable dealer (represented here on TNet), and no it wasn't updated. Not to worry though, easy enough to do if even I can figure it out. As for how is it working, I'm still on the fence. Great machine and both seem to work really well. You won't be disappointed.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought mine within the last month. On the outer box near the serial number it said "Software Upgrade 1.75 Complete 11/2018" with a little white sticker.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine within the last month. On the outer box near the serial number it said "Software Upgrade 1.75 Complete 11/2018" with a little white sticker.

Do you think the vendor did that or was it sent out from the manufacturer with the update?

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt that most vendors will unbox their unopened inventory to install an update.
I bought mine from a dealer in Dec. It was fully upgraded. I would guess it was upgraded at the factory before shipment.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodknack - If you order from Bart at BigBoysHobbies you might ask him. Either way the update is super easy to install if you have any computer experience at all. It is also really easy to roll back if you want.

Coins hit much better on edge with the update but for coin shooters the gap between pennies and dimes becomes closer (you will dig more clad pennies thinking they are dimes) small price to pay to get the goodies.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodknack - If you order from Bart at BigBoysHobbies you might ask him. Either way the update is super easy to install if you have any computer experience at all. It is also really easy to roll back if you want.

Coins hit much better on edge with the update but for coin shooters the gap between pennies and dimes becomes closer (you will dig more clad pennies thinking they are dimes) small price to pay to get the goodies.

It also tends to false more in bed-o-nails situations, especially with the small coil. If you are primarily going after high conductors (coin shooting) in areas without a lot of ferrous trash then the updated firmware is better. If you are a relic hunter in high ferrous trash and/or like to use the small coil in tight spots, go with the old firmware. Both versions work fine for 95% of the detecting that most people do.

The firmware program allows you to roll back to the original firmware if you desire.

Most detectors on dealers shelves are probably upgraded detectors from the factory at this point.

I really don't think Dealers upgrade new detectors proactively. That just has too many implications if they open the box. Can they really sell it as new at that point, what if they botch the upgrade, what are the warranty implication? However, some dealers may upgrade the detector for you if you ask them to do it if it is not already at the latest firmware reve.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think the vendor did that or was it sent out from the manufacturer with the update?

It is hard to say. I really don't know. Would be interesting if others had the same machine and same little label I had. That would mean factory updated it.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the update for most situations. The pinpoint seemed to tighten up almost too much to where it is ultra sensative to deeper targets. Getting a dead locked pinpoint can be a challenge at times but not a deal breaker. Also, on mid conductors my pinpoint always seems to be a little off. Another issue that doesn't really bother me too much.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
It is hard to say. I really don't know. Would be interesting if others had the same machine and same little label I had. That would mean factory updated it.

Mine was delivered just a few days ago and did not have a sticker on the box indicating a software update.

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was delivered just a few days ago and did not have a sticker on the box indicating a software update.

You can send your serial number to [email protected] and they will tell you the software version your unit shipped with and if it has the redesigned shaft to prevent wobble. I'm told those are the two only production changes.

-Joe

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mine wasn't updated either. But even being a computer idiot like me it took about 3 minutes to update. No worries man, even the old software version works nice. As I heard the only difference is when it comes to silver coins sitting on edge. I found nice goodies with the old software and I find nice stuff with the new version. I tell you one big secret..... you need to go out and swing, swing, swing.....don't worry about the software too much you have one of the best tools money can buy today in your hands. The book "From Beginner to Advanced" written by Clive James Clynick helped me a lot. By the way why do you want to limit yourself (Nox 600) if you can get the full version for a few bucks more? I have been thinking about the 600 as well but this kind of investment I don't do every year. For a few bucks more you get more options and 2 Goldfield programs as well. I think both machines are a very good choice but from the 800 you get a little "extra" :-)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread