EQUIPMENT FOR METAL DETECTING- NON INSTRUMENTlOW cOST

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have been using a plastic hand trowl to dig targets for years. They are curved so you can easily plug a round hole, they are nonmetalic so you can samle your contents. they are lite, they are almost indestructable- I only cracked one and that was trying to pry up a monster rock.
Now here is the good news, this is 3/27/10, they are on sale at Home Depot for " .99 " The brand is Fiskars and the come in two widths and a rake which is useful for gravel. Did I buy one? No, I bought three! It was kind of like a treasure find! Good Luck out there!! :D

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried a plastic trowel (from my backpacking days) and it lasted about 37 minutes.

Our soil is clay and glacial loam. Like digging through concrete in the summer once the sun bakes it.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
In that type soil I usually use the hand rake tool first to break it up, then the plastic trowl. I have used these plastic trowels for many years all over the U.S.. The new plastic trowels are far superior to the old style. Of course if I am going deep I break out the shark, nothing stops that short of solid rock!

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
In that type soil I usually use the hand rake tool first to break it up, then the plastic trowl.

Wow. I don't have that kind of patience. I needed something that destroyed the ground, while keeping the grass happy. I'd use a laser if I could :laughing7:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the ground get hard and dry here I hut the beach it is so much easyer...Matt

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
When I hunt on the beech, I use a long handle scoop that I bought at Kellyco. I reinforced it with al. pop rivets in weak areas, And replaced all the nuts & bolts with stainless steel nuts & bolts. When you get to my age, a long handel scoop saves the old back!
Oh, I also coated the long handle with thinned plastic dip in yellow. It makes it easier to identify if you know what I mean.

space_weaseal

Feb 15, 2010
Texas
Frankn said:
I have been using a plastic hand trowl to dig targets for years. They are curved so you can easily plug a round hole, they are nonmetalic so you can samle your contents. they are lite, they are almost indestructable- I only cracked one and that was trying to pry up a monster rock.
Now here is the good news, this is 3/27/10, they are on sale at Home Depot for " .99 " The brand is Fiskars and the come in two widths and a rake which is useful for gravel. Did I buy one? No, I bought three! It was kind of like a treasure find! Good Luck out there!! :D
I would have to carry a pretty large pack.
One for all the ".99" plastic trowels i am going to break.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread