Equipment needed for starting to treasure hunt.

Doowop Dave

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2019
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
I need help and advice from members in buying equipment.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the hobby of metal detecting and treasure hunting. I live in Melbourne Fl. I've recently semi retired and after watching youtube I'm hooked on getting into the hobby. There is so much to learn about metal detecting I need advice on what to buy to get started. There is so many types of machines I would welcome any information anyone can give me. I'm in great condition for an old man and so is my significant other. She and I will be most interested in detecting on the beaches in shallow water. We're not looking to become millionaires, we just want to have some fun and a little excitement dong something we can both enjoy. Please let me know if you have any advice for a new pair of rookies...Thanks in advance. Doowop Dave CD photo New photo of Cece.JPG

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Doowop Dave from CT. Great hobby. Your gonna love it. Great folks on here and always willing to help.

And NO... I won't trade any of my Skyliners LPs for metal detectors,,,,, grin

OP
OP
D

Doowop Dave

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2019
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan :occasion14: :headbang:
I would suggest the Minelab Equinox 600, a good sand scoop and a waterproof pin pointer. I use the Garrett carrot pin pointer in and out of the water and I never have had any issues with it.
I also suggest for a detector the White's sport, not sure how well the salt tracking feature works, but on my White's MXT it works fine on the salt water sand areas.
The equinox and sport are waterproof to 10' depth but you will need to get the waterproof headphones for the Equinox if you want to dive over your head, and if you are going in past your waist into the water I suggest fully waterproof headphones.
The meters on the detectors are hard to read once they are under water so you will need a quality diver mask to read them, or goggles. If I'm gonna dive tho I don't use goggles.
Hope this helps,
Jon :occasion14: :headbang: :cat:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Mississippi

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, looks like you are getting good advice from the members above. I'm a sponsoring dealer on Treasurenet, I'm currently using the Minelab Equinox 800 and the Xtreme scoop. Give me a shout if I can help in your decision, I offer some great packages for Tnet members.

Wayne
(832) 928-9135
www.metaldetectingstuff.com

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the EQ800. But when I go in the water, my Excal II is the machine I trust.

OP
OP
D

Doowop Dave

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2019
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
what kind of package can you make for an Equinox 600 that would include a pin pointer?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You would just have to ask one of our sponsors if they can bundle a deal. Although, if you going to beach hunt, in the dry and damp sand, then a sand scoop should come before the pinpointer. The easy digging in the sand with the scoop usually doesn’t necessitate the need for a pinpointer. Hard ground is a different wheelhouse where it’s usually beneficial to have a good pinpointer.

OP
OP
D

Doowop Dave

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2019
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dave, I gave you a LIKE just for bringing back great memories: Doowop--though you don't look that old to have had that experience with Doowop.
Don........

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm older then I look. I was in one of Alan Freed's rock and roll shows back in 1958 in NYC.

Attachments

• The Dukes of Doo Wop promo.10.jpg
    The Dukes of Doo Wop promo.10.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread