Equipment Review-CamSports Coach P.O.V. Glasses

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I really like to metal detect and love sharing my hunts by videoing them. Sometimes, the hassle of carrying a camera and tripod has kept me from filming. Several times I have missed videoing a couple of stellar finds including a Peace Dollar and a set of safe tumblers from a safe robbery. So I started looking for new way to film without the hassle. Recently I have been using a pair of P.O.V. or Point of View glasses. This particular brand is by Camsports. They are a French based company that have started to get some use here in the states. When I found this brand I made contact with the company and they directed me to one of their dealers here in the States. RageCams is a HD cam dealer here in the States..After seeing several others use these on YouTube, I saw the potential for our hobby.

They arrived with in a few days.. In the box came a hard carry zipper case, a class 4- 4gb mini sd card, a charging cord(also used to link to your usb on your computer), a cleaning cloth, and paperwork. Be sure to visit Camsports and register your glasses with the website. It will keep you in touch with the company in case of updates and other information.
So I charged the glasses for about three hours and headed out. I went to a new spot and began filming. Here is that hunt.

They were easy to use and I loved not having to lug around the camera and tripod.. Definitely made for a more enjoyable hunt, to say the least.
Now with that aside I want to cover a few Pro’s and Con’s of the glasses..
Pro’s
1. Easy one button operation
2. Films in 720
3. No straps, cables or anything else to hinder you while detecting
4. With the 135degree f.o.v.(field of view) every thing is covered and you don’t have to worry so much about looking directly at a specific target.
5. Having different lenses that are polarized. The shade lenses are are dark enough to block out a lot of light but not to much in hindering while digging on a sunny day..
6. And finally comfort. With headphones on it lowered the comfort level because the large muff’s would push the temples and temple tips into my head. But on a scale of 1 to 10 for comfort(without headphones) around an 8. With headphones about a 4-5. In other words just normal wearing you forget you have them on.

Now the Cons
1. Is these are a fixed focus. You can’t really get up and get a close shot of your find.
2. The 135 degree f.o.v. does project a fish eye effect common to most small lens cameras. This is correctable with most video rendering software.
3. Time available to film due to battery life. Although they were fine for how I hunt, 1 1/2 to 2 hour battery life might pose a problem for others.
4. Not waterproof
5. A slight lag time between turning on and the video actually beginning to film.
and
6. And this was the only one that was very noticeable. Was the sound. Although I used a digital sound recorder to capture the sound on my vids, without it, it was hard to hear the glasses audio. Because the audio mic is in the temples wind did cause the sound’s quality to diminish drastically. I think one possible reason the sound was muffle might have been due to the detecting headphones might have pressed the mic up against my head..

With that said, weighing the pros and the cons, the price at $199.00 on the RageCams site, makes these more than worth it.. If you’ve never filmed a hunt then you won’t have any idea how useful these can be during detecting. If you compare the price to regular cameras that you have to buy a tripod and a mem card, and take the time to setup, dig(sometimes the target isn’t always good), and move your equipment when you are done, you will see why $199 doesn’t sound all that bad…
If I was to rate the glasses I would say probably about a 7 to 7 1/2, and that is manly because the sound isn’t as good as the film quality. The 720 HD looks really good with good lighting. Again at that price I think they are more than worth it..
Here is the videoed hunt...

Thanks I hope this review helps
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Western Sky Ranch

Jan 12, 2013
Norco, CA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
Other
Brandon,

Great video and review of the Rage Cam. I definately prefer the optional audio set-up. That was a well put together piece. Made me feel like I was detecting with that point-of-view!! Really cool and has me thinking bout those glasses too. Thanks for the piece.

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brandon,

Great video and review of the Rage Cam. I definately prefer the optional audio set-up. That was a well put together piece. Made me feel like I was detecting with that point-of-view!! Really cool and has me thinking bout those glasses too. Thanks for the piece.
thanks I have been debating over which pov to use and I have settled with the glasses.. I like them just because the aren't noticeable and easy to use..
I will be reviewing another brand that has more options, in the next week or so.. so be watching for them...
Thanks again
Evan

I liked that Rage Cam... And a nice video also...:icon_thumright:
Thanks Keppy.. I appreciate the view.. I have enjoyed hunting a lot more not having to carry that tripod and camera around to every hole..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i will say your video is a lot better than any of those 3 they have on TV now......I enjoyed it ......And i might have to get one of those Rage Cams..........

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well i will say your video is a lot better than any of those 3 they have on TV now......I enjoyed it ......And i might have to get one of those Rage Cams..........
Thanks I appreciate that.. I just love to detect.. If you are looking into the glasses be sure to look for the Camsports "COACH" glasses available at RageCams.. I will also be reviewing a more advanced pair brand in the next few weeks...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread