Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In an effort to simplify my detecting life with the EQX 800, I limited the number of tones to three corresponding to the common low, mid and high conductive ranges.

I thought I'd share this with the forum...for what it's worth anyway. Please keep in mind as you read on, it may be worth even less to you than you paid for it! ��

Since 99% of my hunts are on east coast Florida beaches, I hunt in all metal and dig just about anything that doesn't sound specifically like iron. Yes, I dig a lot of aluminum! But having a rough and simple indication of what my coil may be over, be it a low, mid or high conductive target, I thought would be helpful and shield me from the “tone overload” I get using 50 tones. Even using the factory presets of 5 tones , I sometimes find it tricky to distinguish between tones over the ambient sounds along the beach. Again, I asked myself if I really needed that fine level of distinction anyway based on where and the way I hunt and dig. Agreed, that's strictly a personal preference.

I tested quite a number common targets of varying size and metallurgical composition and came up with some common VDI ranges that I see on our beaches for each of the conductivity zones. I then modified the 5 tone option to 3 tones. My results:

Low conductors fell in the range of -9 to 0 and I assigned that range a tone of 1...the old "iron grunt"

Mid conductors were 1-19 and I used a tone of 12...a nice mid level tone

High conductors in a range of 20+, I used tone 25...a very distinct high tone

I can now easily hear a distinct difference in those three tones and my life is simpler.

Granted, the specific conductivity ranges based on the VDI display will vary depending on the soil, target depth and metallurgical composition. All of which is a known and acceptable factor to me for the purpose of this “approximation exercise.”

Just the view from my sandy foxhole...

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same way I run mine. Less audio fatigue and sorting.

Been great in the fields searching for silver coins.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I would assume this is beach hunting? Park hunting is an entirely different animal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread