John S

Dec 5, 2005

Attachments

• Picture_004__2_.jpg
    Picture_004__2_.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,773
J

JDSCOIN

It doesn't appear to be a true cud, but an 'extra metal' error.

It is a minor error. The value of such an error is minimal. It's value is in being an affordable example of that particular type of error. I sell such errors regularly for less than .50c

But the value is determined using a number of factors. The condition of the coin itself is one (is it higher grade, mark-free, denomination, etc.). So, what I said above about the value of THAT particular coin applies only to a coin meeting those specifications - an average circ.'d nickel w/ some nicks or marks, etc. A state quarter with the same kind of error might be worth a bit more. A good deal of the value of such error coins have to do with the market demand for them.

As I say, there are many factors to consider and it takes time to gain that kind of knowledge. If you can, try to attend some coin shows and talk with people there. Look at the examples that you see there and learn what you can. Best regards,

JDSCOIN

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used to call it a bar nickel. As a kid I remember a coin dealer with a tray of them for a quarter a piece. I started looking through change and found a lot of them, quite common for that year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread