Error peny or????

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ok so I came across a penny that has 2 backs, but one of the backs is indented in while the other one is normal. It is slightly thicker than a normal penny but my guess is someone was messing around and just flipped over a penny and stamped it into the obverse of another. But my questions are, how could someone create enough force to do this anyways pictures are below give me your opinions please!

Attachments

• image-4066505692.jpg
    image-4066505692.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my guess is a magician's penny, but why would they make a magician's penny when they could make a magician's quarter/half/dollar?? \
good luck
hh
buff

CRH Rulz

Jul 17, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could possibly be an extremely rare error in which a cent is struck and sticks to the obverse die. Yours would be the next planchet that went into the die. If you could post some higher resolution pictures that would be great.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea buddy you might wanna get that checked out. Never seen anything like it so it can't be all that common.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I'm away at band camp for the week so I can't figure anything out about it. My mom is going to some coin shops to see what they say. And if I get some good news I'll send it in to ANACS or PCGS.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Thanks for the info! My Mom is still going to go the coin shop to see what they say.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ok went to the coin shop the guy said it is probably authentic and it is really rare. The man said even I it is authentic it's still only worth $40 because it is a penny and if it were older or a higher denomination it would be worth more, so I just think I'm going to keep it and maybe grade it just for myself.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin dealers tend to "low ball" offers on coins... i would personally rather go to an expert on error coins rather then a coin dealer who just knows common knowlege on coins...
i think it's worth way more...
hh
buff
Ok went to the coin shop the guy said it is probably authentic and it is really rare. The man said even I it is authentic it's still only worth $40 because it is a penny and if it were older or a higher denomination it would be worth more, so I just think I'm going to keep it and maybe grade it just for myself.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
BuffaloBoy said:
coin dealers tend to "low ball" offers on coins... i would personally rather go to an expert on error coins rather then a coin dealer who just knows common knowlege on coins...
i think it's worth way more...
hh
buff

I figured it would be worth at least $100...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread