Error Quarter - Worth it or not?

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this while browsing some foreign country auction sites as I do from time to time. Anyways, came across this. Think it's real. Not entirely certain. :P But they are asking for roughly $100 for it. Seems a bit pricy imo but I don't know errors that well. Thoughts? It appears to be a nice error though.

Attachments

• quarterF.jpg
    quarterF.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2,042
  • quarterB.jpg
    quarterB.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,014

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Something about it doesnt look right to me, just my two cents, I am by no means an expert.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd call it a 'broadstrike' error: $15.
Some may push the definition and call it an 'off center' error. If it were, it would retail for about $60. But to be an 'off center' error 20% to 60% of the design should be missing. If you really want the coin, I suggest you do some research first: Take a look at pp. 405/6 in the 2012 Official Red Book (retail values), then haggle with the dealer.
Don.......

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockDoc said:
Something about it doesnt look right to me, just my two cents, I am by no means an expert.

i agree i just can not put my finger on it.

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one but i would rather buy some old silver coins for 100$.... :icon_scratch:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The "odd thing" everyone seems to be referring to here is that the reverse has been rotated 45 degrees from where it should be, thus giving this "odd" appearance.

I don't know enough to give an opinion on value for this error.

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
It is an off center strike. About 10 to 15 % and is very real. If it was a broadstrike all of the devices would still be on the planchet.A broad strike is a planchet that has been struck without the collar in place. yours is a very nice off center and would sell on ebay for around 40 to 60 dollars

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the coin looks authentic, just IMO. It's an off-center mint error, IF authentic, and $100 is way too much.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You may also wish to consider the above referenced Ebay listing is just (and only) that--a listing--an asking price. What it sells for (if it does) is its value. You can also search through "Completed Listings" on Ebay to find the selling prices of comparable items that have (and have not) sold.
Don...

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
The "odd thing" everyone seems to be referring to here is that the reverse has been rotated 45 degrees from where it should be, thus giving this "odd" appearance.

I don't know enough to give an opinion on value for this error.

I believe there is no rotation, the orientation appears to be correct from the positioning of the coin in the flip in regard to front/back.

Best,
Scott

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
The "odd thing" everyone seems to be referring to here is that the reverse has been rotated 45 degrees

I'm not referring to that so not everyone is referring to that.

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
That quarter looks real to me but its not worth a hundred bucks. Maybe 40 but only to a really small niche of collectors. I would steer clear.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The designer's initials, JF for John Flanagan, doesn't look quite right.
They should be on Washington's neck above the "8" in the date.
What is the weight? It can be determined by weighing a regular quarter and a correct sized flip (half dollar?) and comparing to a the coin in question.
IMO, it looks "greasy" and not the right metal. Does any copper show on the edge?

Best,
Scott

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
kleinerschmitter said:
This coin is one of the worst counterfeits I have ever seen, I mean, just look at Washington's hair, it looks ridiculous, no American mint would ever put this on a coin. Looks specifically Chinese made, maybe Thai. This is not my 2 cents, it is the truth.

Really??.....Sincerely??......You've just taken a 100% authentic, 10-15% off-center AMERICAN quarter error and with a few key strokes just told the world that it is unequivocally fake, named the country of origin where the fake was produced and passed it along to us as not just your opinion but rather as gospel.

Did you even think to pull a quarter out of your pocket and actually take a look at it before you started to type??

May there soon come a day when everyone has to take and pass a test on U.S. coins before you can even post here. Please. :help:

HH all!

Greg

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
I've studied and collected error coins for over thirty years.Been to the Mint to see how the minting of coins in production actually works.It's quit apparent some folks need to educate themselves about how errors are made and what kind there are. Stick to Metal detecting

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
1235CE said:
kleinerschmitter said:
This coin is one of the worst counterfeits I have ever seen, I mean, just look at Washington's hair, it looks ridiculous, no American mint would ever put this on a coin. Looks specifically Chinese made, maybe Thai. This is not my 2 cents, it is the truth.

Really??.....Sincerely??......You've just taken a 100% authentic, 10-15% off-center AMERICAN quarter error and with a few key strokes just told the world that it is unequivocally fake, named the country of origin where the fake was produced and passed it along to us as not just your opinion but rather as gospel.

Did you even think to pull a quarter out of your pocket and actually take a look at it before you started to type??

May there soon come a day when everyone has to take and pass a test on U.S. coins before you can even post here. Please. :help:

HH all!

Greg

First of all, I am sorry if my message offended anyone. Greg, I've read your posts on here for a little over a year now and I respect your opinions very much. I did not mean to come across as sounding so head strong but I still stand by my opinion. It still looks fake to me, I've reviewed and reviewed and compared it to many quarters of the same year and the angles still don't seem to match up to me. Even the angle of the chin seems to be too obtuse in comparison to the more acute angles used on the actual chin. I have no wish to preach to anyone, I guess the only truth I have is that I truthfully believe it isn't real but I am not a licensed expert. If it's real then fantastic, if it's not, I won't even say I told you so because that's not the kind of person I am.

jasper62 said:
I've studied and collected error coins for over thirty years.Been to the Mint to see how the minting of coins in production actually works.It's quit apparent some folks need to educate themselves about how errors are made and what kind there are. Stick to Metal detecting
How about you Jasper? Does it look real to you? You have more years experience than I have total so I'd really be interested in what you have to say about it.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.
Let's not get all professional and hateful. Unless you can provide facts that prove your opinion. Then you should be informative. Even then, why be hateful?
Dig?
OP was asking for opinions. Everyone has an opinion. Is yours a professional opinion?

My post was merely that...an opinion. Some folks seem to get carried away....
Perhaps those who are adamant of their "opinions" need to be more friendly....

Best,
Scott

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, my opinion was not that of a professional, I have removed it because I am not a professional and have no professional basis to defend my statements. I got carried away and put myself behind the pulpit. Still don't think it's real though, I'm not giving up on that until it's authenticated. :wink:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enough, my Friend.
Opinions are what are requested by the OP and nothing more. We all have our opinions and the weight of such is considered by the OP for their own purpose; no vitriol is needed.

Best,
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread