Estate Auction Buys

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Wifey and I went to an estate auction a couple of weeks ago. We don't go to these kind of things much any more but this one seemed to have an unusually large amount of good stuff and, because of the somewhat isolated location, I thought there might be fewer buyers and, therefore, lower prices. I was only somewhat correct in my assumptions and we didn't buy much. I did, however, get what I think are a couple of pretty good scores.

DSC05313.JPG DSC05314.JPG DSC05315.JPG
This is a Fiestaware carafe. Old Fiestaware (especially serving pieces) sells for very good money. However, I generally stay away from this stuff because it is so difficult to know if a piece is new or old. I think this is an older piece mostly because of the cork stopper. If so, this piece should sell for around $200. I paid $30 for it.

DSC05316.JPG DSC05317.JPG
I believe this is a bottle of flavoring for phosphate drinks that used to be popular in the old-time soda fountains. This was in a flat of a bunch of miscellaneous glassware and other small items. I paid $20 for the flat. There are a couple of the other items I will probably sell and get my money back but I may hold on to this bottle just because I think it is really cool. I could only find one other bottle like this on eBay. That one was for Peach flavoring and sold for almost $100.

DSC05318.JPG DSC05320.JPG
I took a complete flyer on this stuff. I don't know hardly anything about Indian artifacts but I know some things sell for good money and I thought this might be a good opportunity to learn something. I paid $10 for this little collection. I presume the round thing is some kind of stone tool. I don't know what to make of the points but the dark one seems particularly nicely formed. I'd would be happy to hear more about these items if anybody has some knowledge about this sort of thing.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your round stone is a hammer stone used for everything from knocking off flakes to make points to cracking nuts. The two points on the bottom middle and left are nice archaic period knife or spear points. Altogether worth probably $20 to $30. Nice finds.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know hardly anything about Indian artifacts but I know some things sell for good money and I thought this might be a good opportunity to learn something. I paid $10 for this little collection.

I know very little also but one year ago I found a box of things, in a garage, at an estate sale. It was mostly arrowheads and some civil war bullets. I only paid a few dollars for the whole box. I sorted it into 27 lots and have been selling it ever sense. It does not move very fast. Some of these pieces were authenticated up to 10,000 years old. I only have 6 lots left and they were not the best pieces. So far sales are up to $468

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice vintage Fiesta carafe. The Red Cross Cider Co. Juni bottle is a cool find. It's about 100 years old or so. Here is a glass from the same-

MO-St._Louis-Red_Cross_Co.Jun.jpg

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The Fiesta carafe is old.

Look at the lower case 'f' in Fiesta. As a general rule, that tells you that it is old.

The new Post-86 Fiesta carafes do/did not have a lid.

The cork also indicates that it is a vintage piece.

If you ever find a cracked or chipped carafe, with a good lid, pick it up. The lids can bring decent money. I need a good lid for a Radioactive Red vintage carafe. Take great pics of the lid too, but make sure you do not ship the lid mounted on the carafe. Box it up separately and stick in the box with the carafe.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Also, the vintage carafe, like yours, has a footed base. The vintage carafes have a skinnier neck, and a more bulbous body than the Post-86 versions.

Both vintage and the Post-86 carafes are a pain to clean...you can't hardly get a dish rag down in either of those, LOL. I know that from experience.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Make sure that you put the word "Vintage" in your description, and make sure you put it into the right category. Do NOT put it in the Post-86 category.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
@ Indian Steve - Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

@ diggummup - Am I right that this bottle originally contained flavoring for soda fountain phosphate drinks? I assume it had a stopper originally, don't you think? Also, I was wondering if "Juni" is short for "Juniper". If juniper is a flavoring, I've never heard of anything with juniper flavoring - except for gin!

@ clovis - Thanks for the details on IDing vintage Fiestaware carafes. Knowing that real cork hasn't been used much for a long time, I took a chance on the carafe because of the real cork stopper. I have been fooled by the lower case "f" in fiesta before. A few months back I picked up a Fiestaware sugar and creamer set with the lower case "f" thinking it was vintage Fiestaware. I listed it as such on eBay and a bunch of people jumped all over me for listing it as old when it was actually of newer manufacture. I eventually sold it for what I paid for it. Good advice on picking up a carafe just for the lid. As I was researching this carafe, I noticed that many of the ones listed on eBay are missing the lid. As with sets, I always wrap each piece of a multi-piece item separately.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ diggummup - Am I right that this bottle originally contained flavoring for soda fountain phosphate drinks? I assume it had a stopper originally, don't you think? Also, I was wondering if "Juni" is short for "Juniper". If juniper is a flavoring, I've never heard of anything with juniper flavoring - except for gin!
From the little I read about it, I believe it was an actual stand alone soda versus a flavoring. It was listed as illegal by the Indiana State Board of Health's annual report of 1911 for containing benzoate of soda, here- Annual Report - Indiana State Board of Health - Google Books and here is where I got the photo from- Red-Cross-Cider-Company

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread