Estate sale find (real or repro?)

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purchased this at an estate sale. Claimed to be found in a trunk with another, common arrowhead. Lady said everything in truck was from the early 1890's. These were the only relics she had, everything else, and she had tons of it were 1890-1905 postcards, old clothing, magazines, calenders, etc. all in the early 1900's..outbid 6-8 people at $75 to get this one. The plain, more common arrowhead went for $3-4.

Looks authentic to me and some local experts. Would appreciate anyones oppinion as to authenticity, type, age, etc.

Great patina, great flaking, flutes up both sides.
Thanks,
Bama Ron

Attachments

• clovis 004.jpg
    clovis 004.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 646
  • clovis 006.jpg
    clovis 006.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 629
  • clovis 008.jpg
    clovis 008.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bama Ron

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres another, little clearer...

Attachments

• brandon and chad in greenville1-29-11 014.jpg
    brandon and chad in greenville1-29-11 014.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 605

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice St. Louis Style Clovis. The patination is strong on the piece but that can be applied. I would send it out and have it authenticated. Be sure you update us on the authentication. Inquiring minds want to know....................GTP :icon_thumleft:

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Yeah I'd definitely spend the cash to have that one authenticated. I'd personally get two or three opinions on it. Good luck with it.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly its a fake and completely worthless. Now, here is what I will do for you. I will give you $300.00 for it..... just to get it off of your hands........ so you can focus on "Real" points. Deal? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
It looks like it was painted or something and it's starting to wear off on all the ridges. Hard to tell if it's authentic or not, you just don't know what someone might have done to it through the years. I do like the Morgan dollar though.

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
On the bright side, if you got burned, you didn't get it too bad. On the really bright side, if it is authentic, you hit the motherload! When I used to buy artifacts, I was extremely cautious of 'too much perfect patina' especially on a choice piece like this. It is impossible to tell from photographs. It will take an expert to confirm. Everyone has their favorite, but I recommend Bill Jackson. Here is a link. http://www.jacksongalleries.com/

Good luck!!!

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
Not being negative, but it looks like the acid wash used in the late 1980's by fakers. That white "Patina" should not break at the flaking. I hope I am wrong.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I would sell it to Airborn for $300. That flute has a mind of it's own, it's wondering around too much for me. Jigg? Acid washed and sandblasted leaving ridges exposed. Just my opinion. Hope it's real though

mootsman

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
Edmundruffin said:
Not being negative, but it looks like the acid wash used in the late 1980's by fakers. That white "Patina" should not break at the flaking. I hope I am wrong.

+1

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Bama things are lookin a little skeptical ask and you shall receive ,how about some real good close up pics?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very hard to tell from the pictures here, need clearer closeups. I agree the flute doesn't look right and the patina does look very questionable.......There are a lot of fakes with the acid wash from the 80's, I use to see them all the time.

OP
OP
Bama Ron

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate all the opinions. I will send it to Jackson Galleries. Ironically I've worked for a major paint manufacturer for the past 24 yrs. and as a N.A.C.E. Certified paint inspector I can assure everyone that this point hasn't been painted or whitewashed.

I've collected for 40 years and rarely buy points but it looked authentic to me so I took a chance. I'll post the results of the COA when I receive it.
Thanks again. Bama Ron

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mean it was painted, in the 80's a lot of fakes were washed with acid to make them look old.

Good luck. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Bama Ron

Bama Ron

Jan 7, 2009
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the chip on the top right side in the third picture, I'm embarrassed to say, came while it rattled around in the center console of my car for 4-5 months. I should have been more carefull.
Bama Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread