Estate sale finds, updated

tech125

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone been to any Estate sales to buy Silver coins and jewlery lately? I have a small jewlers loupe to check for sterling marks and a digital pocket scale, any advice would be appreciated.Just doing this as a sort of hobby, trying to learn as i go.My goal is to make some profits by reselling on ebay or sending to the refiner in order to buy a modest metal detector.(
Update, went to the estate sale today, and learned something valueable.Get there early, very early.The first ten people in the door get the good coins and silver jewlery.You need to be there 3-4 hrs or more before the "list starts."However i did find some good items for resale as follows:

Poloroid land 800 camera $10(with manual and blank warranty card, in original box)$10
Poloroid land siwnger 20 camera$7
German Honer Model 27 Melodica hand held piano vintage in original box $14
6 45rpm records .50 ea nat king cole, x2,perry como, x2, johny mathis, and a 3 volume set of Disneyland 45 decca records.
1940's era shorthand machine with two tripods $14 3 stenography books, one first edition .50 each
Nice japan stainless steel digging knife$5

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 649

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Estate sale advice on buying silver coins and jewlery

tech125 said:
Has anyone been to any Estate sales to buy Silver coins and jewlery lately? I have a small jewlers loupe to check for sterling marks and a digital pocket scale, any advice would be appreciated.Just doing this as a sort of hobby, trying to learn as i go.My goal is to make some profits by reselling on ebay or sending to the refiner in order to buy a modest metal detector.(And maybee learn something new in the process.)

I went to one last weekend, I was maybe 10th in line. By time I got in and found the table with coins and jewlery there were a couple of people blocking the table looking at each peice of jewerly for the marks. So lesson learned there is be first in line and be fast. Also I noticed that the regulars who know the sellers would ask where a certian item is and they would tell them. I have been to 3 estate sales this year and what I found was not a great savings on the coins but it was fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread