Etiquete for ordering boxes of halves?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
How do I go to my bank and "order" a box? Ive been asking for boxes, they usually only got clad handfuls.

Ask if you can have $500 in halves. They more than likely won't have that much on hand. If they don't, ask with they will order you a box of halves. Do not take no for an answer, and do NOT pay any fees. Just let them know you wont be turning them back into them. A little charm, and some sweets will do the trick also. Good Luck!

albert

Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would just ask the nicest teller there to order a box of halves and also ask if it is ok to order it once a week. if not, just ask "are you sure?" and if so... just get nickels, dimes, or pennies. it helps to have an account. Also, if you have an account at your pick up branch and they deny you, go to a different branch and ask the same..

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok how do i tell them though. My bank is BoA, I got the feeling if I tell them to order anything theyre going to think i'm crazy. They already make me swipe my debt card to track when I swap out $50 of rolled coin. Who do they order it from and do I pay up front, they call me when its in, etc?

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
sheepdog_tx said:
Ok how do i tell them though. My bank is BoA, I got the feeling if I tell them to order anything theyre going to think i'm crazy. They already make me swipe my debt card to track when I swap out $50 of rolled coin. Who do they order it from and do I pay up front, they call me when its in, etc?

I'm not 100% sure about this but BofA doesn't track how many coins you request. They actually have a policy that they can only give coin to members only. This also applies to dumping coin. Swiping your card basically confirms that you are a member and they can service your coin needs.

Just be confident when you ask for a box. Act like you've done it before. Instead of "Can I order a box?" say "I need to order a box please" The worst they can say is no.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Just ask to order $500 in halves - if they don't want to order it for you find a different bank.

MChittum89

Greenie
Aug 7, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I was also wondering the same thing, I am going to order my first box of halves tomorrow from BoA. Also I was wondering how long it took for the box of halves to come in?

Last edited:

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Don't be timid about it. Just tell them you'd like to order $XXX in half dollar coins. When I first started I had a few banks refuse me but since I have asked with a bit more confidence I have only had one say no. When I was trying to do big volumes I even cold-called several branches and they all ordered for me, no questions asked.

As for how long for it to come in, it should be about a week depending on their delivery schedule and whether the teller remembers to put in the order. Most of the large banks around here get deliveries twice a week, so usually if I call on Monday I'll for sure have coins to pick up on Friday.

talon146

Jul 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call up and tell them I would like to put an order in for coins, I give them my name and phone number, they call me when the coins arrive. If I don't receive a call, I will call the branch and ask if the boxes arrived and then go pick them up. I am going to try to do at least 4 boxes a week and rotate through different branches so they only see me once a month or so.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also wondering the same thing, I am going to order my first box of halves tomorrow from BoA. Also I was wondering how long it took for the box of halves to come in?
As Billy said, Banks order coin on a weekly basis, some of the more active banks twice a week. It should take no longer than that to get your boxes once ordered. I order boxes on occasion from one local branch of BOA and I don't even have an account there. The key is telling them they won't be getting them back. I've never paid a dime for a box of coin either.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, they want to be sure that you will pick them up when they come in. Once you establish that you are reliable at picking up what you ordered, they may be willing to order them more frequently for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread