Etowah mound site tree marker?

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
Good afternoon,
I had a meeting today with a member of the Muscogee Cultural Preservation Office at the Etowah Indian Mound State park in N. Georgia and while there I noticed this tree by the river.

Since seeing them talked about here I have been looking for them in the countryside but this is the most obvious one I've seen. Does it look like a marker tree to you? You can't really tell by the picture but the lowest part of the crook is about 9-10 feet from the ground so it's a pretty old tree.

Attachments

• tree 1.jpg
    tree 1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,228
  • tree 2.jpg
    tree 2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,126

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Hello

Your tree is a wonderful example of an Indian trail tree. The examples Smee provided are very good. The web sites are also a wonderful tool to use. There are many TT's posted as well as great references that you can learn from and how they were made. The Bent Tree Forum is new. They have an area to share your find that will allow others to make comments on your tree. You will especially enjoy what the Mountain Steward of Georgia are doing with this historical treasure.

Once you see a Trail Tree you never get over it!

Happy Hunting

By The River

S

Smee

I was very happy to see that the tree you found has been added to the Mountain Stewards database! If you have not viewed the comments, please take a look here:

http://www.mountainstewards.org/trailtreeblog/?p=75

Here is hoping that you continue to look for the trees. Again, thanks for the picture, and for letting us know about it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions