Etrac - Falsing in TTF - Small Coil - Cellar Holes

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten comfortable enough with the Etrac. It took a good year. I tend to hunt with wide open discrimination now and manual sensitivity. I use conductive when I can, but on most of the old houses where I detect, I'm in TTF. The stock coil performs reasonably well. Even (in TTF) when you're getting the low-grunting "machine gun" with iron every inch or so, if you go slowly enough and wiggle alot, you can isolate good targets amidst junk. That's the Etrac's claim to fame after all!

I recently took the plunge and purchased a small "sniper" coil, and got out to some old cellar holes. I'm pretty much hunting the same way, but not getting great results. I get lots of loud shallow signals and screamers on big target junk. But I find myself really struggling with falsing on the iron/nails (which are everywhere). Granted, I'm still in all-metal, but there are just so many one-way or scratchy chirps that either go away or don't repeat. Normally on a lawn or in a park, I'd move on. Here though, I find myself struggling with (and digging) lots of iffy signals, "willing" it, trying to rotate around for a repeatable signal or even see some decent numbers read out. I pull out multiple 100 year old nails and re-check, hoping the good signal will emerge, but alas no.

Maybe these first few old cellar holes I've tried are just pounded, and the simple answer is there aren't too many good signals to be had. Still, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I should turn on just a little discrimination for my own frustration level, maybe lower sensitivity, maybe go even slower? I'm just surprised by the amount of falsing and chirps with the smaller coil. I have to lower it significantly to reduce the chirps, not sure I want to do that. Any advice for this environment and a small coil is much appreciated.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn your discrim to the FE 30 line and do not run it in TTF. Run it in multi conductive. Just try this... You will see :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn your discrim to the FE 30 line and do not run it in TTF. Run it in multi conductive. Just try this... You will see :)

I need to try this in my iron infested cellar hole. I tried it in a semi trashy field and it worked pretty well.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn sens down or better yet go to auto. I hate running manual and getting all those chirps that make you stop and investigate.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run manual 30 all of the time... FE 30 line... gain 30... & tear it up...
Try it :)

OP
OP
V

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conductive (with degrees of discrimination) or TTF, I just hate hunting in null. Maybe I haven't learned to trust the machine enough, but I really like to try for as little discrimination as I can stand.

As others have said, there are two types of iron falsing, right? There's the chirping/chatter, and then there's the rusty bent nail throwing an intriguing (but iffy) conductive number. The chirping it seems is mostly about sensitivity and soil conditions. At these last cellar holes, the auto-sens was way way down. I'm not sure of the exact number (without my glasses), but it was 10 or under. Even auto +3 would have been too low. I lowered my manual sens as much as I dared, but I did end up going to a minimal discrimination pattern ... the 01 and 02 lines blacked-out on the ferrous (that helps a ton with chirping) and a good bit of 49 and 50 on the conductive (which helps some with the rusty nails beeps). I stayed in TTF though. The result was more null than I like, but easier on the brain.

I was still getting lots of iffy falsing signals that needed investigation. I would have gotten that in multi-tone conductive though, and I would have been dealing with the Etrac pinball machine sound effects for hours. Probably not looking down at the numbers too much less. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to hunt in multi-tone conductive in most circumstances. These cellar holes can really be the extreme.

In the end, I got a few finds, but tough hunts. No easy targets/finds to give moral a boost. A good bit of nulling, and lots of investigating, wiggling over, and some digging of those iffy 9-17 Fe and 30's and 40's conductive signals which I'm sure were almost all iron. Not much more I could have done though. Still beats a day not metal detecting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread