Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
few items to check:

a) Prop the coil on a totally wooden table, away from all metal. Get a steady threshold hum. While holding the rod and coil absolutely still: Wiggle the chord. Do you get any flutter or signals ?

b) If so, check your connections and make sure you're right. Did the flutter-upon-wiggle go away ? If not:

c) Try a different coil if you have one. Problem persist ? If so ...

d) What is your sens. level. If you're alway the way maxed (or near-so), then you'll get flutters and signals off a variety of things . So try lowering your sens. Try lowering the sens. and see if that solves the problem.

e) try the above table test, while tapping various spots on the coil bottom. Flutters ? If so, do you have another coil to swap and try ?

f) little green men or gremlins ? :dontknow:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the future you might want to post this in the manufacturers forum, Minelab had a separate Etrac forum. I bet you'd get more responses.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull the coil cover off and clean the coil and anything in the cover out. See if that helps.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, as has already been said, if your coil cover is clean (if its even still on) and your coil cable connection to the detector is snug, then you have a problem and should replace the coil.
The internals of the coil are set in place, so the problem is almost always a broken cable, usually broken at the point it goes into the coil.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had slight falsing happen when the cable moves independently from the coil...the coil sees the cable as a target. And check all of above suggestions...

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on how hard a bump you are talking about. A bump definitely will cause a beep, but a very slight bump shouldn't do it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It'll beep if you hit on stubble and yes it's aggravating but with enough practice one becomes accustom to raising the coil enough to not dead end into the stubble. Corn stalks will do the same, hate the corn as they cut it high, silage is way better as the whole stalk is taken.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This talk confuses me, My E-Trac NEVER falsed. Doesn't matter how hard or fast I swung, bumping grass, stalks, roots, rocks.... none of that every made it false.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This talk confuses me, My E-Trac NEVER falsed. Doesn't matter how hard or fast I swung, bumping grass, stalks, roots, rocks.... none of that every made it false.
Depends on sensitivity settings, the hotter it is set the more likely hood of falsing when it hits grass etc. The trade off is if you watch where your swinging it you can get more depth, at least I did on mine.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most coils will false every now and then if you bump them. I try not to as they are expensive and you may not catch it if the coil goes too far out of phase. Tapping the coil wire where it connects at both ends will let you know if there is a short. The wires of the coil is packed in resin and can become loose if you beat the coil up too much.

Threshold setting will help you if the machine is chatty. I have enough hours on three different machines I can swing without looking at the coil. I can eyeball for snakes, bees, and rings laying on top of the ground.

Wet grass has made a coil false, i suspect anything that deviates from the original ground balance will null out my etrac. I listen for the nulls too. I always try to keep a few coils for each detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread