ETRAC wont ring up gold whats going on?

denny3

Feb 2, 2013
virginia beach va
Detector(s) used
ETRAC, excal II 1000 ,ctx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Etrac about 6 weeks ago from Bart since then I have found over 200 coins 4 of them silver and deep too.This thing finds coins like nobodys business,its my first detector and im having a blast finding all sorts of things.I live in Va Beach and im going to be going to the beach looking for jewelry.I tested some gold jewelry my wife has to get an idea what it sounds like and the vid numbers well it wont ring up anything small like small 14k ear rings I tried a 16 inch very thin gold necklace nothing and Im not talking about air testing I can rub the small stuff right on the coil and nothing I even rolled up the necklace into a ball and nothing now it will pick up heaver rings and ear rings but nothing on the small stuff. Ive seen videos on line about the same thing even on this forum.so am I screwed when I go to the beach with my Etrac I know these things don't air test good but if I buried that necklace Im sure it wont ring up.Ive seen Bart answer questions about the beach and he says its works good on the beach .but am I going to be missing small gold with this thing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Denny, most want see gold chains because it sees the chain as individual links rather than a solid chain..

Are you using any discrimination?

I never worried about not finding tiny gold because there is little actual gold value in them....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats just how it is with the Etracs and Explorers. When you find a detector that will find small earings and chains it willbe dissapointing on deep coins compared to your Etrac

OP
OP
D

denny3

Feb 2, 2013
virginia beach va
Detector(s) used
ETRAC, excal II 1000 ,ctx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried it in beach mode coin mode and quick mask [open screen] same results
Denny, most want see gold chains because it sees the chain as individual links rather than a solid chain..

Are you using any discrimination?

I never worried about not finding tiny gold because there is little actual gold value in them....

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
but am I going to be missing small gold with this thing.

Yep. The E-Trac isn't going to find small gold chains, many thin rings, and tiny jewelry not even if you rub them on the coil. It is a low frequency detector - great on high conductors like silver coins and great at being relatively insensitive to iron, but in the trade-off it is almost entirely gold-dead to small jewelry. If you want the small stuff you'll need to look to a higher frequency machine.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats just how it is with the Etracs and Explorers. When you find a detector that will find small earings and chains it willbe dissapointing on deep coins compared to your Etrac

Great answer! The CTX 3030 is better at small gold but not ideal. There is no machine out there that will do it all really well.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the others have said, there are VERY few machines which can nail fine chains , stud earrings, and other tiny gold. I was shocked when I discovered this about my beloved E-Trac, but then I tried the same jewelry pieces with my PI and my Tesoro Compadre and none of them could see the peices either. It's just a fact of detecting. If you want something to find those pieces you need a dedicated prospecting detector. I have heard guys are doing very well with the Minelab GPX5000, but you need the $5000 up front to buy one!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors can not sound off on those thin gold chains for the reasons Treasure_Hunter gave. I hear of guys all the time that say their XXX detector finds gold chains but on checking in to it more you learn the detector sounded off on the larger clasp or a pendant. If you go on point on every little "tic" you hear from the machine, you will waste a lot of time on bird shot too.
C. Heston.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love your signature picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread