Even after 45 + years of digging, I found a FIRST for me!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
LoL .. Not much of one, though .. Walking through the woods, I kicked up what I thought was an old Altoids tin. It is pretty well rusted and the top is rusted shut, so I figured it must be an older tin. As it turns out, it is actually a more recent one, but I guess the oak leaves have been unusually hard on it or something. It doesn't weigh much of anything and it doesn't rattle, so there is probably nothing inside. At any rate, this is a first for me ... in all my years of hunting, this is my first Altoid tin! LoL!! :laughing7: Oh well .. you can't win 'em all!

Attachments

• IMG_6056.JPG
    IMG_6056.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6054.JPG
    IMG_6054.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 8

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Its Full Of Cash. Open It Up!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Rob - I thought you had another CW era coin purse .... LOL!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
45 years!!! And I thought I was old. :tongue3: What were you digging with back in those days Robasaurus? :laughing7:
I've found a lot of cosmetic compacts, but still not a sealed tin. I'm sure that had to have been pretty exciting.
I still have one of those old "Merry Widow" condom tins on my wishlist of finds.
Well done,
Doug

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an altoids tin last week at junkie park. It was full of weed. turned it over to the mayor who was holding court on the grass.

carcusrex

Jan 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont think I would have been able to hold myself back and would have ripped that thing open right at the hole Great self control. :icon_thumleft:

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a revolutionary war artifact, "curiously rare"

Merry widow condom tins, the plot thickens.

( Oh, now that just sounds creepy)

Last edited:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still have one of those old "Merry Widow" condom tins on my wishlist of finds.
Well done,
Doug

I have found several merry widow tins around here in my yard, but i dont think they held up much as this house has been built onto 4 different times :laughing7:

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found one either! That just moved up my bucket list to the top! Oh ya banner for sure!
Great restraint , I also would have pried it open thinking paper $ maybe in side.
Can you tell if it's peppermint, spearmint, or cinnamon ? Makes a real difference in how much you get for one!
You won that one, gave us all a chuckle, thanks!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one of those in "mint" shape under the front seat of my wife's car! As for the 3 merry widows tins, I found a bunch of those when I was kid in a trash pit along with some whisky bottles and old pepsi and coke bottles. I asked my dad what they were and he told me that they were emergency rain coats:laughing7: Dang!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread