Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to get out for a bit. I wanted to try out a theory for finding deeper targets.
So, I wasn't expecting much and pretty much got what I figured. With just a couple
surprises.

2014 (434).jpg
2014 (435).jpg

This is a very well worn place. I just wanted to see if I could
pull some interesting targets from below where I normally look.

When this big palooka came out I thought that maybe I should
put it back. It looks like something that might be anchoring the continent! LOL

2014 (436).jpg 2014 (437).jpg

Then, there was this, um, uh, token??? :dontknow: Was about 7-8 inches down.

2014 (439).jpg 2014 (438).jpg

This was funny because I got the hit, around 60 or so, and happened to notice that I only
had 1 bar left on the battery! It was about 8 inches down!! I think I was impressed! :)
Silver is silver. Still no drought. (maybe gold ;) )

Anyway, I changed the batteries and went back to looking for a few minutes. I got another hit
around 59-60 and deep. I decided to do a bit of an archeological uncovering. I slowly removed
layers until I finally got down to the target. It was a 1957 nickle and it was a FULL 11 inches deep!

No secondary targets, just this coin.

Yeah, I'm thinking I am rather impressed.

Fun day! Or at least couple of hours anyway!

Thanks for peeking!

Last edited:
Upvote 5

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting day. The carriage bolt looks like to a truss for bridge. Tokens are cool, good chance you'll never see another like that one again. That gecko is looking hungry.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have to tell you, but that's how we learn, isn't it? Do you think the token was counter stamped or was it always a J J J token?
I learned something today too: Google Earth doesn't always show all details, lol. I found an older school's grounds was much bigger than it seemed online. I only found some clad, but now have another place to hunt when the mood hits me.
I have had a couple days that I said I was only going to dig nickel signals, but find it too hard to resist those 84-90 repeaters! GL and keep us informed.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have to tell you, but that's how we learn, isn't it? Do you think the token was counter stamped or was it always a J J J token?
...I have had a couple days that I said I was only going to dig nickel signals, but find it too hard to resist those 84-90 repeaters! GL and keep us informed.

Oh, I NEVER ignore signals that high, I just, sometimes, open up the bottom side and try to identify a low signal before I dig.

About the "token", I know I've seen this very same "J.J.J." on something before, here. Just can't recall where. I'm trying to figure out a
way to clean up the token a bit more to see if something else is there. It was pretty deep also! But, this coin doesn't appear to me
that it's going to lend itself to any cleaning. Besides, unless it's autographed by George & Martha Washington, I doubt it's going to
ever be worth anything. LOL

I'll post some more pics, if I can gain anything. But, ya know, it might be just tired eyes but I think I see a rather large
something that looks like a number on the side without the JJJ. Anyone else see that?

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2014 (440).jpg
2014 (441).jpg
2014 (442).jpg
2014 (443).jpg

Welp, I guess this one will stay a mystery unless someone recognizes the style.
The only other detail I could make out was that they used square periods. :)

Still, neat to me.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Eagle Four-Eyes, that warnic is a real beauty! Looks like some good steps on the reverse, and in quite a bit better shape than is usually found :metaldetector: or CRHing. Your experiment definitely paid off IMHO, though I imagine that Blingey in not impressed.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Blingie is going to start coin collecting! Nice finds!

Well if there are any wayward bridges in your area...we won't tell!
I vaguely remember JJJ on something, just can't clear the cob webs out of my mind, if I did there'd be nothing left!
Great detail on the nickel!

Got skunked on the sidewalk tear out, they had already put the fresh fill in. So went to a school. Just clad and trash, again. On the way back to the truck I was begging for a gold ring or coin (lol)! God has a sense of humor, very next target gold color aluminum ring and a squarish button (?). I have to remember to ask for the real thing next time!
I need to get my son in law to show me how to post pics, you guys are missing pics of all my can slaw! Lol!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... God has a sense of humor, very next target gold color aluminum ring and a squarish button (?). I have to remember to ask for the real thing next time!

If you ask for that, don't be surprised if you just get a coke can. ;)

Thanks!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Msbeepbeep;4021987...Got skunked on the sidewalk tear out said:
Ya know, I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm going to offer a prediction. Your silver/gold drought is going to end in the very near future. Two weeks, tops.

Happy Hunting!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only way to get it is to get out there and get it. Kinda like playing grenades~if you lob enough, one is bound to get the target. I see Blingie with his little mini crystal ball now....:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread