Even with the frozen ground still managed a few keepers. Spur, buttons and bullet.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a snow last night about 2 inches. But I was determined to go out today, so I headed out to the spot in Winchester, VA we've been hitting. A couple of the fields were frozen solid and couldn't even dig. So I headed to another spot. Only pulled 2 small flat buttons. Went over to the spot where I found the Virginia button last Sunday and managed to pull out a spur, a colonial button and a deep sharps bullet at about 15 inches. I wouldn't advise trying to dig in frozen ground unless you're a die hard like myself. lol Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 2013 080.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2013 080.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Metal Detecting 2013 081.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2013 081.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 8

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Matt you must be addicted or something to go out in the snow - LOL - nice finds

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't advise trying to dig in frozen ground unless you're a die hard like myself. lol

Ahhh that brings back "fond" memories. I got my first detector on a very cold, wintry Christmas long ago. Wanting to dig sooooo badly!!! Tried to a couple times. Nothing worked. LOL I just KNEW that gold doubloon was there! Just outta grasp! ;)

You did very well!

(Now, would the last person who borrowed my jack hammer, kindly return it? I'd be eternally grateful! )

:)

HH!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:
I wouldn't advise trying to dig in frozen ground unless you're a die hard like myself. lol

Glad to see you are still digging even though the weather sucks. I am a die hard, but the frost line here 5-6 feet deep. I would need a jackhammer lol!!

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where the grass was tall after about 3-4 inches of frozen ground that you got past it was ok, but a couple fields you couldn't even break through the top layer.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any engraving on the spur??? sometimes u gotta look real close. Awesome finds though you really making me wanna go back out you're way.. :occasion14:

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Minnesota we discovered a way to make it very easy to dig down in the frozen ground. Even at temps -20 and colder. Simply do your scan and find a promising spot. Then dump a bag of charcoal on the spot, add lighter fluid and start it up. When it starts cooling down start digging. You should be able to get 2-3 inches down. Next, add another bag of charcoal and light it up. This should get you another 2-4 inches down. Since burning each bag of charcoal only takes about 4 hours, you should be able to dig 8 inches in roughly 8 to 16 hours. I love winter, but I am envious of those in warmer states where the ground doesn't turn into frozen bedrock 6 months out of the year.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Minnesota we discovered a way to make it very easy to dig down in the frozen ground. Even at temps -20 and colder. Simply do your scan and find a promising spot. Then dump a bag of charcoal on the spot, add lighter fluid and start it up. When it starts cooling down start digging. You should be able to get 2-3 inches down. Next, add another bag of charcoal and light it up. This should get you another 2-4 inches down. Since burning each bag of charcoal only takes about 4 hours, you should be able to dig 8 inches in roughly 8 to 16 hours. I love winter, but I am envious of those in warmer states where the ground doesn't turn into frozen bedrock 6 months out of the year.

HEY NOW!!!! You have a GREAT concept!!! OMG we could all get RICH!!! Not by using charcoal, but maybe by a designing a digger with a blow torch on the end!!! Just think of all the sales in colder climes!!! :) Who wants to be the first to invest in our little invention!?! LOL :)

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good finds Matt. Nice spur! Same over here on this side of the hills. Supposed to get 2-3 more inches of snow in the morn but I am heading out anyway.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Matt, that colonial button and spur made it worth it in my mind.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there no end of great relics there Matt?-LOl. I like that spur. WTG, Q.

I'd like to think NOT, Quindy. A few fields haven't even scratched the surface yet. I'm surprised how clear deep bullets and buttons have been with the F75. Constantly impressed with it. Sunday I dug a large flat button(bigger than a large cent) and I was swinging the coil above about 4 inches of stubble then add about 4 inches in grass and I dug a plug that was at least 8 inches deep and it was still in the hole. What surprised me the most is the button sounded like trash close to the surface. I got the button out and kept swinging the coil over the hole and the plug...was just in shock how clear the button came in considering I was swinging the coil 16 inches over it!

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Matt, that colonial button and spur made it worth it in my mind.

Agreed, Steve. That's my 3rd full spur(minus the back piece) from this property. First one I found was in the woods right on top of the ground. Someone must have either dug it up and left it or I just got lucky and it never sank. My guess is someone dug it and tossed it.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds Matt. Nice spur! Same over here on this side of the hills. Supposed to get 2-3 more inches of snow in the morn but I am heading out anyway.

I'm going out Sunday. Supposed to be up in the 30's. But I'll probably be crazy enough to go out again tomorrow. lol Hoping no more snow though. Good luck and HH!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man now that's a nice haul of relic's. Yeah froze ground is like digging in concrete.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any engraving on the spur??? sometimes u gotta look real close. Awesome finds though you really making me wanna go back out you're way.. :occasion14:

I looked for any markings, I couldn't see any.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, Steve. That's my 3rd full spur(minus the back piece) from this property. First one I found was in the woods right on top of the ground. Someone must have either dug it up and left it or I just got lucky and it never sank. My guess is someone dug it and tossed it.

That is pretty good that you have dug 3 full spurs in your first year. I dug my only complete spur on a horse farm north of Winchester.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds I also have a lot of Sharps Carbine bullets , just like your's over the past year .Again good job Davers

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! Glad you managed to find a location soft enough to dig. It's not possible here in the Northeast right now. Every night this week has been in the single digits and the daytime temps were in the teens and 20s. :sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread