ever caught in a storm?

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
a few times i ignored the dark clouds and wished i hadn't. i was .75 miles from my car in an old resevoir that was drained. i would have had to cross the open expanse to get out. the thunder storm hit hard. i cowarded down in low brush. the lightening smashed all around me! 20 min. and the sun came out. soaked but safe, i hunted some more. glad i did. picked up a 14k yellow and white gold man's wedding band. that was a great site. i picked 3 silvers right off the surface! another time, a different kind of hunting. i was trained for wood lands search and rescue. i was searching for sarah ann wood. we were in a swamp and a severe t-storm came up. i thought i was a crispy critter to be. she was never found. a scum bag admitted to taking her but never disclosed location of her.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting during a storm is stupid. The sky was green around me and the wind picked up where I could barely hear the beeps, but the detector went crazy with sounds. We left the water to learn a Tornado went through about a mile away. I don't remember having any good finds.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
What's really neat, is if you stand with your feet bare on the ground and you raise the coil of your MD as high over your head as you can reach. Then listen for the sound of angels wings on your MD ear phones. :o

Kids don't try this I'm being sarcastic, which means I'm making a stupid adult joke. :icon_scratch:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasn't detecting, but we got caught in a micro-burst. Talk about panic with powerlines falling, trees being shredded.....roads blocked by debris.....

Fortunately we made it to the truck before it hit full force, but it held us prisoner for quite a bit as we tried to outrun it and dodge flying debris.

The only experience with a lightening storm outdoors, I had to cross a metal bridge on foot and chickened out. I too hunkered down and waited it out, getting soaked to the bone in the process.

Don't gamble with Mother Nature.....she wins every time!
Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread