frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever cut through any cables/wires while digging? Last night I received a permission from a very nice late 1800s house with an expansive yard. I just get started digging and close to the house I get a decent high tone on the AT Pro at 2-4 inches. I dig the plug and through what I thought was a small root...
Well, it wasn't a root at all...it was the homeowner's Dish Network line going to the house. It was barely even 3 inches down!!! Sliced that thing right in two.
Of course I talk to the homeowner and tell her what happened. She was less than pleased. I honestly felt horrible for doing it...
After spending 45 minutes on hold with DN and not getting a response, I decided to go home. We exchanged numbers and she stated that she would try calling today for repairs and would let me know about the cost.

Anyone else ever deal with something like this??

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately you will be paying the repair costs, but you did the right thing by letting the homeowner know. They will most likely run a new cable from the box into the house, unless the repairman trusts a coaxial cable splice to remain waterproof.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
You should be able to get wire and connectors to splice and at least restore service until proper repairs can be made.

I have found sprinkler heads on a few occasions but was able to avoid damage...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope everything works so you can go back.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig using a BIG knife - luckily the one I had at the time was sharp enough to cut ground but not to cut wire
idiots only buried about 2 ins down most around here is like a foot - I hit it and thought it was a root till I saw
shiney black coating

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, not good. I know that you know you must bear the cost for proper repair, it's the only thing to do. Having said that, it is good that you put this out there for us to remember.

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the cost will be around $55.
Lesson learned on my end!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in your area for anyone that installs any kind of cable tv. Offer them what you feel it is worth and they can simply go splice in a repair. They need to make sure it is a underground pieces. If yopu was close to me I would do it for free. I do not install SAT TV but i do take mine camoing with me when i go .

BIG HINT FOR all that dig !!
If you see a SAT Dish in the yard on a post chances are there is BURIED CABLE there leading to the house. Do not assume is goes straight to the home either. They usually do not bury the cable very DEEP !! You did the right thing by telling the owner. Any tv installer should be able to make the repair and far less then a Dish TV REP !! good luck. Please post to us how much it cost you !

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same for the invisible fences for pets..

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great POINT XAOS Please all remember when asking for permission to hunt a place ALWAYS ask if there are ANY WIRES BURIED such as Underground TV cable, Electric dog fencing UNDERGROUND electrical wires buried to any building. If anyone can think of other reasons please post them

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be clad it was coxal and not fiber, the cost could easily have been 10x or more higher.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coaxial cable, especially cable caring a digital signal is easy to repair,. You could easily patch it, and out and if the run is not too long just replace the whole thing. Coaxial cable has a grounding sheath that you’ll need to connect and then the main Copper Center

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is sort of what the line looked like. It was a dual cable.
Coax-DualOrangeMess_large.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just pay to have it fixed professionally, if there is issue after repair it becomes the responsibility of the company that did the repair not you.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Takes remembering , and patience to check around a target for a continuance of the signal.
Yes ,I cut a wire at an abandon , pre demolition house. Not on purpose , but still my bad.
And found a copper pipe run in multiple spots in a park one day....

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come close a couple times. Lucky for me i was using a hand digger and pinpointer. I like to creep up on my finds and catch em when they are not lookin.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thin wire with out the coating is just support wire. That is not underground cable. The two shielded ones go to the receiver and to the LNB should not be hard to repair

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread