mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found 2. One by a fallen down barn, & one hanging by the door of a shack in the middle of nowhere. Hmm, I don't know where they are now. probably in the garage, or as I like to call it, Never never land. cuz once something goes in there you will never, never find it again.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MAMABEAR! I don't like to hear they ended up in never never land! If you ever come across them please post some pics. Some traps are very old and I am fascinated by the skill of the old blacksmith's in fabricating these things! Do you remember what kind of shape they were in? Of course there's always the chance the traps aren't that old but it would still be cool to see them. Keep in mind, without traps you would not have any fur trade artifacts to find.......

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found abandoned traps in the woods, but they aren't very old, maybe 1940s-50s. I doubt there would be much left of any real fur trade era traps out in the elements since by now they would most likely have rusted into oblivion.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Yep rusted away by now likely some real craftsmanship and clever field repairs . Still some very old collector traps out there the better mouse trap has never ended.Is heritage trapping the oldest profession today will it last with all the anti-animal groups sorry propaganda?

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the old traps have survived surprisingly well. Trappers back in the day went to great lengths to preserve their investments as they were hand made and not cheap for them, however like you guys said chances of one surviving out in the elements is probably not too good. The crappy metal they use in traps these days will be disintegrated after not too long if not properly dyed and waxed.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find old rusted out modern ones and hang them on my cabins porch. Nothing real old though.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find old rusted out modern ones and hang them on my cabins porch. Nothing real old though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread