Ever notice a weed where the target below?

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever notice a weed where the target is below?

I got the detecting bug in 2016. I'm on my 3rd detector and I've been spending several hours a week or more looking for treasure.

One things that I noticed is that often (not always) I notice that when I pinpoint a target I feel like it's directly below a weed or some other marking in the grass. Maybe part of it is just me locking on to a spot as I prepare to cut a plug, but still I feel like maybe when there is a copper penny 4 inches below. I can't help but feel like it could affect some of the grassy conditions. Am I off or do others think that when they are pinpointing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
maybe something in the material of the target fertilizes the soils? just guessing as i am no soilologist. i am a sociologist! :laughing7:

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the detecting bug in 2016. I'm on my 3rd detector and I've been spending several hours a week or more looking for treasure.

One things that I noticed is that often (not always) I notice that when I pinpoint a target I feel like it's directly below a weed or some other marking in the grass. Maybe part of it is just me locking on to a spot as I prepare to cut a plug, but still I feel like maybe when there is a copper penny 4 inches below. I can't help but feel like it could affect some of the grassy conditions. Am I off or do others think that when they are pinpointing?

Ya seems that way at times, but there are so many weeds that its hard "not" to be digging under one. :tongue3:

By the way, why have you gone through 3 detectors already?

Plus why does it says, retired beside the at pro and gti in your metal detector box?

OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retired them. Maybe I could phrase it better.

I started with the GTI. It worked very well. I wanted to do some water detecting. I'm minuted from Lake Huron beaches, but I wanted to be waist deep in the sand detecting so I upgraded to the ATP. I really enjoyed the ATP, but I also love technology and wanted wireless. I looked hard at the Etrac and I wanted the CTX to also use in the water, but couldn't afford it.

Ultimately I was able to trade in my ATP and put a Deus on layaway until it was paid. Wireless, updates, and a water kit lured me in. My buddy has the Etrac and we can have a healthy "competition" when we go out together.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I moved from a Fisher CZ-5 I bought in the 90's to an AT Pro (a few weeks ago). I have not taken the Cz-5 out of the closet since the pro arrived. OMG the difference! I could sell the CZ-5 for a decent price as detector folks tend not to tell them. but, i figure it be a backup OR if someone visits and wants to dig history.

What is your opinion of the Deus vs the AT Pro? what are main advantages?

OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved from a Fisher CZ-5 I bought in the 90's to an AT Pro (a few weeks ago). I have not taken the Cz-5 out of the closet since the pro arrived. OMG the difference! I could sell the CZ-5 for a decent price as detector folks tend not to tell them. but, i figure it be a backup OR if someone visits and wants to dig history.

What is your opinion of the Deus vs the AT Pro? what are main advantages?

I actually wish I could have kept my ATP as well. It just didn't work for my time frame to make the $ numbers work.

I'm probably not the most qualified to talk about the advantages, but I'll state a few things that I immediately noticed.

1. I like how it folds up for storage.
2. Tones. I have been running the Deus in full tones. The ability to adjust tones as you see fit is an advantage I believe.
3. Frequencies. The ability to adjust a broad range of frequencies is super cool. I have been running in high frequency mode mostly, but I know some make 2 different similar programs so they can basically sweep over a target with all the same settings just with different frequencies. They say it helps with iffy targets.
4. Light. I can swing it without a strap without fatigue. The ATP didn't feel tons heavier, but it is noticeable to me. It also feels very stiff(solid) Makes wiggling over a small target very easy.

So.... With all that said. I wish I had my ATP still to directly compare on a target. I like how it worked and I got a ton of stuff for the few months I used the ATP. The ATP was stable for me and I was really able to crank up the sensitivity.

I've been cleaning the easy targets learning and I still need a nice shovel so I really haven't dug those iffy tones when using either machine.

I've been having a ton of fun detecting, and reading in the forums every night. I've been out of town the last few days and I brought my detector, but i've had a hard time finding great hunt spots. I'm ready to go home and get back out!

Scott

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks for the detailed reply. i figured light weight would be a PRO. does it have a lighted display. AT Pro should have that, but does not.

shovel advice, buy from Predator tools out of NJ. hand made and HIGH quality. I have the piranha shovel and the r85 military grade digger. both are high quality and will NOT break. worth the extra $ spent. google predator tools.

OP
OP
Mahskeeter

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the detailed reply. i figured light weight would be a PRO. does it have a lighted display. AT Pro should have that, but does not.

shovel advice, buy from Predator tools out of NJ. hand made and HIGH quality. I have the piranha shovel and the r85 military grade digger. both are high quality and will NOT break. worth the extra $ spent. google predator tools.

Yes it is back lit. That was important for me as well. My GTI 2500 was back lit. The ATP not and I would detect in to the evening and when it got dark it was difficult to see. I still like the target ID on machines and I'm trying to rely on tones more, but i'm not quite there yet.

About the shovel, my only issue is the Predator shovel is wider at the top. The other top brand keeps the width narrow and I kind of favor that to try to keep a smaller, but deep hole. We'll see. I'll keep looking and reading. I have to take care of a couple home/ fall things and let that hobby account build a little. The Predator does look like a beast though. No doubt a forever tool!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Mahskeeter;5144880 3. Frequencies. The ability to adjust a broad range of frequencies is super cool. Scott[/QUOTE said:
I disagree. Multiple frequencies is a huge advantage, not just cool. :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... One things that I noticed is that often (not always) I notice that when I pinpoint a target I feel like it's directly below a weed or some other marking in the grass....

Probably just the trick of "memory bias". Aka selective memory. The moment we start thinking of such connections, we begin to mentally track any time a target *did* turn out to be under a weed. But subconsciously we're not noticing all the weeds that DON'T have targets under them. And/or all the targets we find that weren't covered by a weed.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens all the time. I've noticed when hunting in thin grass where you can't imagine anything getting lost, the bigger weeds like dandelions will hide the only goodies.
Especially in the summer when the thin grass is all yellow except for the weeds which are big and green. Throw a shiny quarter down on thin grass. You can see it plain as day from far away.
See what happens if the quarter rolls under a thistle leaf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread