Ever run out of water on a hot summer day?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever had a hot summer day end your hunting because you ran out of all the water you can carry?I have had this happen many times.and sometimes those creeks and streams seem so inviting.I am even guilty of taking a slurp or two,but it is nasty and can make you sick because of parasites and stuff.Well I think I found a little back up for them hot days when the water runs out.It is a straw that is supposed to filter even the nastiest water.Might want to check one out if you ever had this problem.I hope I am not putting my foot in my mouth,I don't even know if the damn thing works yet:laughing7:-HH 012.JPG

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of it, and it was all good. Over 2500 reviews of it on Amazon and extremely high ratings.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of the portable water devices will filter out most of the common bacteria and something is better than nothing. Beats putting round pebble in the mouth just to keep it moist.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used one of these for many years on my backpacking/fly fishing trips and never had a problem.The Lifestraw is probably just a smaller version. You should be fine.

55812.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always make sure I have plenty of water. My father almost died from giardia (beaver fever) and I refuse to drink from any body of water that's not a fast moving crystal clear stream. Scary stuff. He was so sick and the docs could not figure it out. Finally my grandmother did the research and figured it out for the doctors

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's summer?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always make sure I have plenty of water. My father almost died from giardia (beaver fever) and I refuse to drink from any body of water that's not a fast moving crystal clear stream. Scary stuff. He was so sick and the docs could not figure it out. Finally my grandmother did the research and figured it out for the doctors

I think I had that affliction from age 13 to 18, Abe.

DI2, I believe that apparatus will be something I add to my backpacking kit. I started carrying a case of bottle water in the back of my vehicle as part of my detecting tools.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the portable water devices will filter out most of the common bacteria and something is better than nothing. Beats putting round pebble in the mouth just to keep it moist.

LOL.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

...especially if you don't know what deer or rabbit droppings look like!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may sound insane, but I ran outta water this past February. Not cause I didn't have enough, but it froze solid!
Peace ✌

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
==============================================
Neither of those 2 requirements will keep you from getting giardia.
That fast moving crystal clear water could be rolling over last winters snow kill,,, or worse.
The straw works,, and so does the Katadyn a few posts above.
At the LEAST you should have a small eyedropper bottle of bleach,, a few drops and in a few more minutes you will have fairly safe water.
Or if time is no issue,, just boil it for a while.
Which is a lot better than drinking from any untested source.
The reason I am replying here is I have had "bad water syndrome" before and refuse to go thru it again.

HH and be safe
Hit

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
==============================================
Neither of those 2 requirements will keep you from getting giardia.
That fast moving crystal clear water could be rolling over last winters snow kill,,, or worse.
The straw works,, and so does the Katadyn a few posts above.
At the LEAST you should have a small eyedropper bottle of bleach,, a few drops and in a few more minutes you will have fairly safe water.
Or if time is no issue,, just boil it for a while.
Which is a lot better than drinking from any untested source.
The reason I am replying here is I have had "bad water syndrome" before and refuse to go thru it again.

HH and be safe
Hit
Great info thanks bud. Considering LL Bean is about 18 min from my house in sure I can easily pick one of the filters up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread