olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ever see a 'coin mirage'?

Since I have only been MDing about 3 months, Im wondering if anyone else has experienced this- I'll be digging for a target and could swear I see the outline of a coin down in the hole, but it turns out to be a clump of dirt or small rock. At first disappointing, now I get a chuckle out of it. Wishful thinking, I guess!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yes.

They change color, too. Devious things - coins.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wait till you are in a crowd and see multiple supermodels! eerie!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens all the time! Your brain is playing tricks because you are seeing what you want to see.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason - that, I believe, accounts for the vast majority of ghosts, UFOs, bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, hunters shooting one another and "faces" on geological formations.

Your brain interprets what your eye sees and "fills in the blanks" for you.

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
HA ! That's funny. I do this all the time, usually I "think" I see the coin just to have a rounded stone or leaf bit flop when I reach for it. Last Wed, I was "stickin" a park in Neosho, Mo , scraped and prodded at one hole for like 5 minutes....couldn't find that rascal. Finally I seen a dime on edge in a small clod,,,clear as day,,,"A dime ! Hope it's silver"!! Reached, picked it up, "Hey, wait a minute!" Thats a rock!" We see what we wanna see often, huh? (Oh, it turned out to be a small cal bullet, like 25 or 32.)

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mirage and the gold ring in the hole *gold foil or pulltab* are the source of many *Halleluiah, aww dang it* moments. Keep swinging.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
I've been detecting for about 5 years now and still see the edge of a silver coin all the time that turns out not to be there. Grrrr!!

God Bless

Jeremy

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I sometimes get excited and think that I see something in the hole, usually a silver coin. It turns out to be a pull tab or some other piece of trash. It seems to happen more at places that I "think" are going to be good!

SwtTea

Feb 3, 2015
Central AR
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Eurotek Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I always think I see pennies :P The dirt here is exactly the color of the pennies we pull out of the ground, and I swear I see the edge of them all the time.. and it's just a ridge of dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions