Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was messing around on youtube today during all the rain and came by a guy that cleaned a NC button in about 10 minutes with ammonia. So I ran out to the dollar store and got a jug. And decided to try it on the button I dug yesterday. I spent about 30 minutes on it cuz I was being pretty cautious, checking it often. I think it came out pretty good. Anybody ever use this method? Thanks and have a great day!

button1.jpg button2.jpg

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using this on buttons and copper coins that are encrusted pretty heavily, with great results. I take a bit (enough to cover the item) of ammonia, stick it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds (cover your nose when you take it out!) then place the item in the hot liquid. I dont let it sit for longer than 10-15 seconds, then remove, gently wash under water and use a cotton swab to remove the dirt. 3-4 baths (10-15 seconds each) will usually remove most if not all of the dirt leaving the gild intact. Coins can take less or more time, have to be careful and watch the patina as you are picking at the dirt.

Nice, and thanks. This was my first use with ammonia. So you heat it a bit first...I will try that next time. Would you choose your method over a peroxide bath then? In all cases? Or would one way better than the other in certain situations? Also, since you have used ammonia soaks before, I have one other question (or for anyone for that matter). If you suspect the gild is gone on a button, would you still use the ammonia? Thanks again!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but can't wait to try.
I enjoy different cleaning methods. My coins n buttons, not so much. ;)
Fairly sure I've damaged finds w peroxide. I won't tell my "tumbling" disaster again.
Thanks
Peace ✌

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but can't wait to try.
I enjoy different cleaning methods. My coins n buttons, not so much. ;)
Fairly sure I've damaged finds w peroxide. I won't tell my "tumbling" disaster again.
Thanks
Peace ✌

Yeah, if on youtube, search "cleaning civil war buttons with ammonia" (not sure if it was proper to post a link or not) Since it is not my video. I imagine the button has to be in pretty good shape to start with. I saw a little hint of gold on I the one I tried it on and decided to go all in :laughing7: And had pretty good results with it for trying it for the 1st time. I also just watched a video and a guy used a product called feed and wax. I need to dig a button to try this now. The results were really good and seems to preserve it too in the same step. Have a great day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread