Ever wear an inflatable PFD?

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question for all you beach/salt veterans: Who wears an inflatable personal flotation device as a safety precaution?
This may seem a little weird to the East Coast folks, but here on the West Coast, our waves and surf conditions and weather travel all the way across the Pacific, and even on the seemingly mildest day, sneaker waves are common. During even the mildest storms, we often have small craft warnings, and gale warning conditions and big swells can occur 365 days a year. The rule here is never to turn your back on the ocean if you want to stay alive. So it would seem that some kind of emergency flotation option would be very prudent.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Mid-Atlantic, Rip currents, rogue waves, step offs, night hunting...I use 3, one is Mustang Survival, other is a Sterns 4444 hunting vest, then a little tiny one that is not USCG approved but does the trick. All are manuel inflate, with a pull cord. Always wear one when danger is possible. Couple years ago, Hunting before the Big Storm, waves were ruff, all kinds of treasure was being tossed. My buddy, Big guy, got hit by a rouge wave, seen him go down..gone for about 10 seconds, he got up on one knee and Got hit again, went down again.. Luckly he got out but was so shaken we had to leave...Had offered him my extra, but he turned it down...two years now, he is still just hunting the shallow. Said he seen his life flash in front of him............ If I feel unsafe, they have a blow tube were you can inflate it without the pull. Cheap insurance for your life....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very prudent indeed! I've been knocked off my feet (should say sucked off my feet) twice here on the east coast in less then waist deep water. Headphones, buoyancy and swaggering about with the surf and currents, your attention is elsewhere and your sense of balance can be lost in a heartbeat. I'm frequently stepping in soft deep holes here on the east coast and the undertow is always there even when it "seems" to be not that bad.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had my back to the waves once in ankle deep water, rouge wave hit me at about thigh level and took my feet right out from under me. i do not have any form of pfd yet buy plan on getting one!

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in the Northwest, you can have a calm sunny day of flat water and out of the blue, a 14-foot sneaker. Think I'll be wearing that PFD ...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the Stern's 4444, I also like it because it has several netted pockets..When you come back in from a hunt, everything is washed clean. Pic, Going out for a night raid. in the bay.......Drysuit to protect from the polluted waters.

. IMG_2605[1].JPG

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I never work the water without my PFD. The belt I wear is a divers quick release type.
If I had to, I could pull the cord and inflate, and release my belt with ALL equipment attached in about 3 seconds if I had to.

Then all my equipment could be retrieved later as the floating screen will support my detector and all other stuff.

The scoop is set up so as to float, which also helps with a heavy load of sand.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
I use a belt mounted one that Inflates manually with a tug. I only use it when the water is very rough after a storm or if I am hunting in the water. And the the east coast waves pack a punch.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN: That's an interesting scoop you have there. Details?

Diablo, Still in the works, after 2 years. Different type of scoop using several different metals, SS, 2024 Aluminum, Titanium Grade 5, strenght, fast draining, weight 13 3/8 x 7 inchs. When, not sure.

Titanium ti obn (2).JPG SNAG-0010.jpg Power Coated Aluminum

This one weights in at 3 pounds plus

Last edited:

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
I have not worn the safety vest , but it's not a bad idea . I've read post where th'ers have been caught out past the sandbar when the tide changed and had to ditch their heavy scoops in order to swim back to safety . Thanks for your post.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Similar happened to me, we jumped off the boat during lowtide, it was anchored about 100 yards out, detecting away, lost track of time. Tide came in, boat was in Over the head water now....headed back to the boat, realized there was no touching the bottom, blew the inflateable up, paddle back to the boat, scoop, detector on the sifter. Sure made it alot easier.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, you are always great hunter. I wish you luch. Thank you.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet scoop

I haven't done much water hunting but will on my next trip. never even thought about a PDF. Thanks for a great reminder!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread