Ever wonder what might be laying in a Confederate Trash Pit? Well take a look!!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd let everyone see what I've been finding. I was fortunate to discover a trash pit in a Confederate occupied area that I have been hunting for several years. It was at the bottom of a steep ravine that I have crossed many times before. Because of the steepness of the incline the digging was extremely hard and dangerous. Many times the relic once dug out of the pit, slid down the slope and under leaves which required me to locate it again with my Nautilus metal detector ! It took me 5 outings to completely dig this pit out and each day was truly amazing. It was like a time capsule showing every day life in the spring of 1862. Obviously the men that camped here were from South Carolina due to the presence of South Carolina buttons. I dug a total of three, two coats and one cuff. One of these was an extremely rare local Wildt South Carolina coat. The Scoville and Co. backmarked cuff had 100 percent gilt on it. These South Carolina rebs also had Eagle "I" buttons on there uniforms as I found three of them......one coat, one silver plated vest with a Drucker and Sons New York backmark, and one cuff. One 14 mm navy button with an iron hook protruding from the back was also discovered. This looks like the remnants of a poncho hook that is on some federal eagle buttons but I have not had any confirmation as if that is what this is yet. Other noteworthy finds included a broken side knife with its brass handguard still present and the side plate off a flintlock rifle. This rifle was obviously from the Revolutionary War time period as it had a frizzen. Later rifles only had the hammer attached to the sideplate. I was hoping the rest of the gun would be there but it was not to be. Over 10 different Confederate minnies were found in the pit along with a TON of melted lead. The rarest of which was a Enfield bullet with a rose design in the cavity. This bullet is extremely rare and I have always dreamed of finding one. Now I can say I have! Many Georgia teats were discovered but 2 of these were the extremely long variety with rings very spaced out. 2 other bullets came out that are also very rare. At first I thought they were carved but it turns out they are extremely rare Sugarloaf bullets and have only been found in a few places! I also discovered a hand made lead ring in the pit along with its mate that is not yet finished. These items are what I truly like to discover as they are some of the most personal civil war relics one can find. This Confederate soldier was melting bullets to make himself a ring. He may have even intended to write something on it but because of what ever reasons didn't have the time and threw them in the company trash pit. The amount of melted lead that came out of this pit was astonishing. A few rifle bands were also discovered as well as 2 intact whiskey bottles and one base to another one. It was truly a memorable dig that I will remember always! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• South Carolina Camp buttons.jpg
    South Carolina Camp buttons.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 144
  • side plate with frizzen.jpg
    side plate with frizzen.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 137
  • last day of pit.jpg
    last day of pit.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Finds Saturday 8-28-15.jpg
    Finds Saturday 8-28-15.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 11988545_10201042260776463_8374067599154608979_n.jpg
    11988545_10201042260776463_8374067599154608979_n.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 21

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work saving all that history! You have been a busy man. Great job.
George

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some cool CW artifacts.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like an incredible hunt. Sounds like a good place to set up a sifter, if you have permission to do that. That place would look like a moon crater when I left. LOL congratulations on some great finds
PS Eagle buttons may have come from prisoner.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the South Carolina regiments had a lot of time to bury trash since the Stonewall Brigade did all the fighting!

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you post some pictures of the sugar loaf bullets? Also, what is the button in the middle of the first picture? Is that a SC too?

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geez, that's a relic hunters dream!, all that lead is beyond awesome to me!, great job on that pit, hope ya find some more!!!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a great 5 days of hunting - must have been a blast!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing story and great looking hunt!! What are the coins ya'all found?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your trip through Confederate history. Lots of really sweet finds.
I know you will be going back.
Thanks for the story and the pictures.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SPECTACULAR find and a great write up. Thanks for posting in such detail.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just beautiful man. Congrats on a VERY cool experience . . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread