gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relax. Take a deep breath. You'll be okay. Now, what in the frikkin heck are you trying to say again?

Oh im relaxed, and have used it quite a bit, perhaps there is something wrong with my particular unit..It barely has more depth than my Ace 250 with the sniper coil..Think im going to send it in to Garett, and let them take a look at it..

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh im relaxed, and have used it quite a bit, perhaps there is something wrong with my particular unit..It barely has more depth than my Ace 250 with the sniper coil..Think im going to send it in to Garett, and let them take a look at it..

My 350 has more depth than my ATP, stock coils - maybe because the Ace series runs at a lower frequency?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If your worried that would be the best bet.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This may or not be obvious, but a detector is only gonna find deep metal if there is actually deep metal at that location. Just a thought.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may or not be obvious, but a detector is only gonna find deep metal if there is actually deep metal at that location. Just a thought.

Thats what I was thinking...Have you tried areas you know would have deep targets? Of course if there are tons of shallow targets, you may not think it will reach them, but they just need to be taken out of the ground. I have no issue with depths on my Pro...My max depth on a coin is about 10"...which I know other machines will reach 14" +...But Im happy only having to dig 10..lol

Good Luck man!

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well right now in the town I live in there is a unique opportunity..They are literally tearing older houses down left, and right due to Hurricane Ike, and FEMA...So I have gotten to hit several sites, now don't get me wrong I have hauled Wheats, Rings, and tons of Clad from the 60's, Toys, Horse Shoes, Etc...I start off using the Ace with Sniper to Clean off the Top, then Switch over to the AT Pro with the 5x8 double d coil in pro mode..I found a couple of WWII Collar buttons in pro mode, but it will still ring up in Standard, I can tell no difference in penetration..I do however get less stability in pro.I also realize to find deep, there has to be deep..Perhaps its just me, or my expectations were too high...Could also be a problem with this machine..I have used it almost every day for at least a few minutes, and some times all day..I have used a lot of different types of detectors over the years, but this one has me bamboozled...I got it mainly because it could get wet, as yet it has not...Thanks for all your replies...

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, im not knocking anyone else love of the AT....Would love for anyone in the Galveston County area to give me a shout, and try my machine out for themselves to compare it to theirs... Give me a shout...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
On atpro, pro setting is deeper. But the purpose of the pro mode has absolutely nothing to do with depth. I find 8" deep dimes with atpro with factory dd max sense zero scrim, and that's enough for me. It's the coil that determines depth. My 12 concentric is deeper than the wimpy big dd, but I aint been lucky enough to get it over a deepy yet. Everything is gone.

Last edited:

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a piece of scrip at 9" it wasn't loud but it wasn't faint either.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it in for a checkup to ease your mind if nothing else.

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kinda wondering myself. I have taken mine to a couple of old parks in Denver and have found nothing....zilch...nada over six inches. I keep asking myself if the ground mineralization could be affecting depth. I watch a ton of metal detecting videos and see repeatable signals at 8-10" but I can't get any on my machine in either pro zero or standard. I'll stay the course and try other locations but as of now, I'm as frustrated as you are.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different ground means diiferent results....as they say "results may vary" lol....But iif you are after deep stuff..pro mode is the only way....listen for that faint repeatable audio. Pay no attention to the screen on deep targets. I dug a U.S. boxplate near 14" that gave a very soft repeatable signal, but VDI was everywhere even down in the foil range.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kinda wondering myself. I have taken mine to a couple of old parks in Denver and have found nothing....zilch...nada over six inches. I keep asking myself if the ground mineralization could be affecting depth. I watch a ton of metal detecting videos and see repeatable signals at 8-10" but I can't get any on my machine in either pro zero or standard. I'll stay the course and try other locations but as of now, I'm as frustrated as you are.

Parks are hard places to hunt as most have been hammered by other detectorist. Keep at it, it will come!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Not 100% sure your atpro is up to snuff? Put new batts in it. Check cable connections. Turn machine on. Do a factory reset. Set pro mode, zero mode, zero notch, zero iron. IA off of course. Using the factory coil, carefully gb to clean ground. Place a silver dime on top of said clean ground. Set sense to 4, no more. Swipe coil over dime, 4 inches away, no less. If everything is ok, that dime will squeal like a baby pig in distress. Okay, now set sense to max 8. You should get good response up to 8 inches air, if not more. A lowly old cz will spank atpro because its a lot hotter, but atpro is nothing to sneeze at depth wise.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
By you comparing the standard mode to pro mode first tells me you love your Ace very much. You have spent way more hours on your Ace than your AT Pro, therefore you have a real comfort zone with the Ace. The reason I say that is for several reasons, but even the tone given in Standard Mode on the AT Pro is that comforting sound you've grown fond of from your Ace. Every since I have pulled my AT Pro new from the box, I have always hunted in Pro Mode and for good reason. They don't call it Pro for nothing. Personally, I feel like the Standard Mode sounds a bit chintzy, but thats just me. :laughing7:
Anyways, doing a good auto ground balance and possibly changing your frequency depending on EMI's, and practicing in Pro Mode should get you overall satisfaction in depth and performance. Another little personal preference for me is never doing a manual ground balance unless I'm water hunting. With your high mineralization soil in Texas, the Auto Ground Balance will adjust your machine for the soil conditions much better than you monkeying with the GB manually. Just my $.02 HH and Good Luck! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to change the batterys, and the end popped off the battery holder...Garrett sent 2 of them to me right away...I do like my Ace 250, except for the depth on it, but then again I use it only with the sniper coil...I am going to get an RA from Garrett, as I truly believe there is something wrong with my machine, its just too unstable, and depth is very poor....I have used it enough to be familiar with its actions...Also have a 1350, had a CXII, and ADS Deepseeker, A Whites 5500 Series 3, and still have a BH Land Star...After reading all the happy user reports on the AT Pro I bought this one...Im sure if there is an issue with it Garrett will make it right, they are known for that...Will keep this updated...Thanks for everyone replies.....Tom

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be honest here, I hated my Ace 250 and the 350, but that was mainly the bell sounds, I can't hear them and when I can they irritate me. I had a ATP couple years ago, and I hated the damn thing. Now that said, I have since found out that machine had a bad coil and a bad circuit board so its no wonder it didn't work right. (strong reason to buy new!) I have a new ATP, that a friend talked me back into trying and I have to admit, I have loved it. I bought it mainly for the water proof factor. Now as far as deep targets, I'll say this. This sport has been going on for over thirty years now. I remember the fun i had using my old Red Baron. (Target depth wasn't too bad) I only say this because plenty of places have been hit threw the years and the deep targets may actually be gone. Or your in an area, that floods out to a point the targets are beyond what any detector will hit. This is why a well seasoned target garden at home is so useful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread