EVERYONE..on here please help!!!...really...

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is what i think...please feel free to comment...
things were going great on this site. until some idiots decided make more shows depleting our treasured hobby.( metal detecting)
now everyone is a detectorist. and we all lost some good places to hunt..gee thanks tv..
it's amazing how much tv influences people..it's sickening..
i do welcome all the new people to the sport..but please folks stop the madness...
enjoy it..embrace it...but don't ruin it..
ask permission...fill in your holes..please...and have fun doing it..
REALLY folks. this is a hobby. not a get rich quick thing.
anyway have fun and fill in your holes...
OWG...

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I believe that u have to have something inside of you that only us true detectorist s undedstand what I am trying to say... to do what we do and stick with it The quick rich r jst that, when they realize there are a lot of hard work and disappoint they usually r gone, yes leaving there holes. But even on r worst days we love our day.fill our holes and take our trash.. these shows as intresting as they r im sorry to say make us look sometimes we r a egg short of a dozen, which I have had conversations with people who would never pick up a detector so not to be thought of that way. (Climbimg trees, jumping in streams) I have pride in my hobby, not only for myself but what we do historically . Anyways just my opinion. Happy hunting and good luck..

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BOOM BABY! ..... man, I hate that guy

robEg

Greenie
May 3, 2012
You in Vegas rayrayvegas? I'm in Vegas. I don't know about the get rich quick but I know tv has made a spike in a rush much like what we called the gold rush in the 1800's now it's a tv show but anyway. I'm sure back then they did what they had to get treasure and money but today it's called destroy and pillage. I detect a lot of areas and I do my very best to fill leave the best I can. Sometimes and I know it goes for all of us the we cut falls apart or some dirt disappears but as the best I can its back. We can all get called this and that but at parks I see holes and most are dogs that have no leash on any way or a school where posted no pets and there's dog s no leash and both have dog crap all over them. We laugh at pulling beer caps and pull tabs but again something else left them. I take the comments from people all the time, yet I walk around their pets crap or them throwing which I throw it in the can 10' away from where I dig it and take the money or the jewelry or knives and what ever else puts money in mine or any one else willing to get out and look for it. I my self think I'm a die hard since I go year round and 5 months of that year it's hotter then the devils ass. What I'm trying to say is we can't get it all ourselves but together we can and I say we the ones who try and not tear up what we pay for to maintain and staff '' yes we have the right to swing at'' just think about what else goes on at the places we dig at , crap on the ground, trash, hookers, drugs and what ever else some small holes aren't worth thinking we so bad is it?

soonerdan25

Jun 17, 2008
Siloam Springs Ar
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AGREE!

Its really hard for me to watch those shows because I know what its doing to our hobby.

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
I hunt alligators, buy storage units, catch raccoons with my bare hands( yeyeyeyeye live action), I recently added metal detecting as a profession today I found a 1910 wheat penny and climbed a tree just think George Washington could have carried that when he fought the Germans at Pearl Harbor.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm. maybe we need to move this to General Discussion? and yes it is a hobby but too some it can lead to a little more than just a hobby, mainly if your into digging civil war relics. People been metal detecting since the 1940s, surprise those TV shows didn't come sooner then today. I really do not think those TV shows are ruining everything and I do not really see a rise in more MDers and if so Welcome Aboard.. I think everyone should own and go MDing mainly teenagers, and nothing is better then spending time with your dad relic hunting.

Southern_Justice

Jun 24, 2009
Springfield TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Just like all other reality tv shows that show some sort of hobby\ profession it's not total reality they make it look so easy and extremely profitable and don't show the hard work that goes into it. I found my first silver coin today and I've been metal detecting for about 6-7 years now I mostly hunt civil war artifacts but anyways found my first silver coin today( standing liberty quarter) and I did jump and said yay. But I didn't climb a tree, then crawl through a dog house that has 2 doors, then jump in a creek , slap a child and yell boom baby. I think the shows would be more tolerable if they were less dramatic and showed more of what it really looks like to go metal detecting.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note they do make it seem easy all the time, I mean if you search hard and long enough you will find a hot spot i.e. it took me almost two years to track down where this colonial horse racing track was in Richmond County,VA but when I found it it was a coin haven when we first found it me and my buddy dug 36 coins ranging from 1795 up to late 19th century and it can make you do flips,cartwheels and what have you but I think these shows do a lot of editing and don't show the hard work that goes into it, they need to come film me spend 4 hours digging one hut site out 4-5 feet deep and several feet wide and see the energy that really goes into it and finding maybe nothing or finding a buckle or plate.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Times are constantly changing, technology is advancing quicker than the general populations intelligence. I'm 61 years old, and until this year didn't have a computer of my own. I was too busy making a living and paying bills. Being self-employed, everyday is a work day. I have noticed that the advent of the internet, as well as reality TV has spawned much more interest in many more varied live styles,( Yukon men, Gater Boys, Alaska. Swamp People, etc.), and professions,( Bering Sea Gold, Pawn Stars, Pickers etc) What these shows have done is bring many different people of different interests and made stars out of them. I've been in the forestry and logging business for a good portion of my professional life, and I refuse to watch Axmen, it is totally unreal! I make a portion of my living from auctions, scrap metel, recycling, land clearing, and building demolition. Yet I'm not portrayed on TV!

Like most hobby's that provide financial benefits, MDing has seen it's share of abuse, and bad press due to the greed and ignorance of a few individuals, and unfortnuatly these are the people that are remembered. Like any other activity it becomes the duty of the members to police the ranks, and educate the others about what we do, how we do it, and how we benefit society.

WE also need to get our message out, we don't have the benefit of those on the tube. We are judged by our actions and responses to questions. Our future exists in how we portrait ourselves in the public eye. Yet we also need to know when to keep quiet, and bring undo attention to ourselves and our hobby. Lets keep up the education and the good deeds that we do, hard work has always made good things happen. Enough of a rant for now.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So how many of you have sat through one of these shows, written down every advertiser, then sent them a letter or email asking them not to sponsor "BOOM BABY" or "ROUNDNESS IN THE HOLE," because it is hurting our hobby?

Are these shows REALLY hurting our hobby, or just increasing our “competition” for spots and goodies? Where is the empirical evidence?
I dislike the current TV shows featuring metal detecting for two reasons:

1) They make my hobby look like it is dominated by barely educated morons that are incapable of speaking High School level English.

2) They give a false sense of the hobby, leaving out the research, networking and hard work involved in being a consistent and successful hobbyist.

Don’t like these shows? Stop watching them. Want to try and improve or stop them? Start writing to THEM – not us. Don’t like the added competition? Be better than they are.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all, Loving all aspects of TreasureHunting.. I'm actually thinking of buying my first metal detector this spring. From the excellent info here on T/N...(haven't watched much TV for years) my view has always been..
While in "Our Great Outdoors"..Leave It as you find it"...nothing but maybe a footprint left behind, use morals & respect towards environment and people alike.
"If" there's a few "bad apples in the bunch"...Hopefully! they will change their ways.
TJE.

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like them , hate them....be jealous of them for getting a show where they get access to places that most cannot and get paid to do something they enjoy. If I can parlay a TV show out of drinking beer on Sundays and screaming at the Redskin games I will be set....

tims1chap

Feb 6, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may think it is hurting and in ways it is. Look at it from another angle, the advertisers on this site may like the sales it produces and the technology that will come from this spike will help those yet to come to this hobby. So it helps in some ways and yes it hurts in others. I have actually read where with the Diggers show they actually donate the stuff they find while with Nat Geo and they should make that point more prevalent in the show. The other show Savage Family, it hurts more than helps.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post!! Couldn't agree more, I also hate going to parks and seeing mass 2 by 2 foot holes its disgusting and makin the hobby look bad for us.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how many of you have sat through one of these shows, written down every advertiser, then sent them a letter or email asking them not to sponsor "BOOM BABY" or "ROUNDNESS IN THE HOLE," because it is hurting our hobby?

Are these shows REALLY hurting our hobby, or just increasing our “competition” for spots and goodies? Where is the empirical evidence?
I dislike the current TV shows featuring metal detecting for two reasons:

1) They make my hobby look like it is dominated by barely educated morons that are incapable of speaking High School level English.

2) They give a false sense of the hobby, leaving out the research, networking and hard work involved in being a consistent and successful hobbyist.

Don’t like these shows? Stop watching them. Want to try and improve or stop them? Start writing to THEM – not us. Don’t like the added competition? Be better than they are.
The show is doing more good for the hobby than it is damage...most people dont want the competition, they want this hobby kept a secret. The OP said it is depleting OUR teasured hobby.

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that for me living as far out west as one can with out living on the ocean there plenty of wide open tracks of land to Md on. I love going to the beach with my AT Pro. I rarely have seen in the past week any one out there but clam diggers. It is quite fun and enjoyable even to find a pull tab or a pop can 6 inches down. Just give it time the hype will wear off soon enough when people don't get rich and they have to work for what they find. Natural human laziness will set in and the fair weather Md'ers will go a way.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I watch them, but I reguard them as humorous entertainment. The reaction that reflects on TH is strictly based on the person watching. If they have a reasonable IQ, they can gauge it as entertainment mostly in the form of humor. If there IQ is, shall we say, lacking, they can see it as easy money. This is usually dampened when they price the equipment. So the reaction can go either way depending on the viewer. I don't like the slang or antics, but they are good for a laugh! Just my opinion after watching the shows. Frank

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread