Everyone Should Read This

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing some investigative research on ancient civilizations in America, and come to find out there is a wide spread belief that there is what's called the "Clovis Culture." I'm bringing this up because I'm sure someone on here, or someone you know has discovered what looks like an Indian arrow head, but could it be from the Paleo period? Could you have found something even more rare than you expected?

Here are some interesting articles relating to it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-from-europe-discovered-america-7447152.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clovis_culture

So before you say "oh, it's an Indian relic, or something," think about the above articles! Keep an open mind!

Best of luck to all of you, and keep on preserving history gentlemen.

-Fetch

Upvote 0

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting, thanks

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very well known.

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure thing! Hope it helps others keep an open mind, when looking at future relics. :icon_thumright:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the links! Good information! :thumbsup:

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The discovery of clovis points in the midwest and especially as far east as Chesapeake Bay area of VA/MD has turned Christopher Columbus and maybe even the land bridge theories/myths on their heads.
DHD

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I've never heard of the Buttermilk Creek Complex. Thanks for that! :icon_thumright: I'm thinking this forum needs a section called "New World Ideas," or something of that nature, because I hold a very high degree in the academia, and have never heard of these findings prior to this past week. Most of my friends are in the same boat as well. Granted we're not in the educational environment anymore, but still. I really enjoy this site and the education other members have. It blows my mind sometimes, when I read this forum. :notworthy: You guys rock!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Too much work has been applied to make the Clovis first theory work, it will be difficult to change. Can you imagine the theories and books that will no longer be relevant once a pre Clovis culture is finally accepted?! Change is inevitable but she's taking her sweet time in regard to the first Americans. Some have suggested that the "Soultrean" piece found in Virginia might have been brought from Europe by the home owner........ :BangHead:

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All are welcome for the information. I'm happy to pass fascinating articles along, if I find them.

1320, you make a good point. We have to take into consideration those types of things when they are found. Whoever thought of that theory regarding the home owner bringing the artifact over, really has an interesting thought process in my book. I'll have to read up on that story. Another interesting note, being that I live on the east coast, and almost on the center line of the country, I suspect my state could have a ton of clovis, or pre-clovis artifacts. Time for some detective work.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
fetcher said:
All are welcome for the information. I'm happy to pass fascinating articles along, if I find them.

1320, you make a good point. We have to take into consideration those types of things when they are found. Whoever thought of that theory regarding the home owner bringing the artifact over, really has an interesting thought process in my book. I'll have to read up on that story. Another interesting note, being that I live on the east coast, and almost on the center line of the country, I suspect my state could have a ton of clovis, or pre-clovis artifacts. Time for some detective work.

It is a plausible theory I guess, I don't know much of the story. It's been a while since I saw the article but I think the original homeowner was an immigrant from the late 1700's, early 1800's. Keep us posted on your research, very interesting.....

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget Meadowcroft Rock Shelter in PA- There are artifacts found there pre-dating the ice bridge from Asia. There were stories past down, from the migrating people from the west, that a people of giant size guarded the great river from where the sun rises (east side of the Mississippi). They allowed people to go East but eventually tried to stop the migration because there were to many people. They were exterminated in the process. Sound familiar. There is a mound in McKees Rock, PA (Pittsburgh Area) that was excavated by folks at the Carnegie Museum at the turn the last century. When they got down to the bottom of the mound they uncover skeletons that were well over 6.5 feet tall. These are said to be stored at the museum and no one has checked into it since. I am a firm believer that a land bridge from Europe pre dated the ice bridge from Asia. There are also other sites on the East Coast and South America that pre date the ice brige from Asia. Just a thought.......

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PrimitiveOne, good bit of information! Thanks. Have you ever looked further into the 6.5ft tall skeletons that were found? Which museum were they taken too?

-Fetcher

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The Giants have a logical explanation. If you give me a complete skeleton of a person 5'5", I can layout the skeleton on a table and make it look 6 to 7 foot tall. It actually happens all the time in physical anthropology classes in college, they give you the bones and you have to estimate height.

The biggest source of error is in the spinal colum, on a table it's flat in the body it curves. Lay it flat and put 1/4 inch too much space between the bones and you picked up 8 inches plus about another 3 to 5 inches for the missing curve. 5'5" to 6'7" right there. Mess up the knee by putting the patella between the femur and lower leg bones and you've got 2 extra inches. Lay the feet flat (standing on tippy toes instead of flat) and you've got 8 inches. Put the skull down like it naturally sits on a table vs face up and you've got a couple of inches. Those last common mistakes take Mr. 5'5" from 6'7" to about 7'8". Add in fact that many mound burials are clusters, and you had skeletons with 40 or 50 vertebrae instead of 33, you had people sorting bones based on robustness, so you'd see a broken femur from another body being used as lower leg or even arm bones on another skeleton. You could get a skeleton 8 to 9 feet tall pretty easily.

Anatomically correct skeletons that many of us saw hanging in science class weren't widely available or even legal when people were finding these skeletons, and most people outside of surgeons wouldn't have had much knowledge about how a skeleton should be articulated.

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread