tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out on my little bike trip yesterday I thought I'd check out a hill for artifacts. I saw absolutely nothing in the way of native activity other then one tiny piece of tan jasper. On this hill side the rock outcroppings are of an iron rich type and I would call them limonite and ironite type of formations. Very little iron mining was reported by some accounts in the late 1850's west of here and coal was found in this area that created an industry that carried on into the late 1970's. Seeing this type of iron rock and some slag as evidence of smelting and a hand forged spike chisel leads me to believe this was possibly a small operation that produced a limited amount of raw material for the early settlers in order to have a supply of iron to work with by a local blacksmith and nothing more as it didn't ever go into a large production. This I can only guess was a way to get some iron before all the rail lines reached the area a decade later and then all the cheap raw steel and finished products came flooding in to the area leaving no further need to work your tail off just to get a small amount of iron for the blacksmith to produce a limited amount finished goods. So much more of Colorados history was written about the vast riches of gold strikes going on in the early years of the the Kansas frontier leaving only things like this as something only speculate over. The local written history of this region really only begins in the early 1880's when coal and agriculture became the big industries of this area.

Attachments

• hillside mine 062016 1.jpg
    hillside mine 062016 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • hillside mine 062016 2.jpg
    hillside mine 062016 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
  • hillside mine 062016 3.jpg
    hillside mine 062016 3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
  • hillside mine 062016 4.jpg
    hillside mine 062016 4.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 74

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to have to take a trip back into the coal mining region here and get some pics of rock formations and examples because you seem to know quite a bit about geology. Very impressive!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that an old iron spike?
It's not a RR spike. This was around 1-3/4 inches round and 7 or 8 inches long and had a hand forged 4 flat sided point hammered on the business end. You can see how it was mushroomed on the hammer end pretty frequently. My guess it was used to work on the natural rock fractures to break em down to size. What ever went on here it was a very small and limited operation. The scattered slag goes without say someone was refining rock with some very high temperatures.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to have to take a trip back into the coal mining region here and get some pics of rock formations and examples because you seem to know quite a bit about geology. Very impressive!
Old mining areas are always interesting to look around. There's always something old left behind it seems.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Might also have been where a wagon broke down and they had a blacksmith to repair it....just needed raw materials.

Yes, I know...been watching too much Wagon Train lately. :BangHead: The wife is in the next room watching it now! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread