The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was tempted to mount the controls on the balanced shaft I bought, but I really did not want that weight on my arm. So, looking at this post, http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,126974.0.html, I started thinking about making my own harness. The Minelab waist mount is crap, as many of you have said. I had an "E-Z Swing" harness (used to take weight off your arm) that I used every once in a while, but I found that it was too cumbersome for its intended purpose. I have another, more efficient detector support harness that I use when swinging big coils for extended periods of time. Anyway, the shoulder straps on the E-Z Swing were perfect and all I needed to do was make the belt part. I don't sew, so I decided to use grommets to put it together.

The main thing I learned about working with nylon belts was that (1) punching holes in them is practically impossibe, (2) drilling holes in them tore the surrounding material up when the drill bit pulled out the threads and (3) the only good way to do it was to melt holes through the webbing. Just get a round piece of metal of the appropriate size, heat it over a gas flame and punch a hole. This has the added benefit of sealing the material around the hole.

I used two sizes of grommets. 1/4" for the holes that hold the controls. 1/2" for the four shoulder strap clips. They only had brass grommets at Home Depot, so that's what I used.

Grommet tools

hw_misc_5.jpg

Front view...I added an little cable-keeper on the cable-side bolt. I took a little piece of webbing, installed two small grommets, folded it over the cable and tightened it down. You can see that I used the Minelab waist mount metal rod to hold the controls. It has the benefit of being able to unclip the battery easily. Hey, I thought metal detecting was supposed to make you lose weight! :) ;)

hw_misc_6.jpg

Back view...I added a large grommet to the waist belt to hold a carabiner on which I could clip my scoop.

hw_misc_7.jpg

I used a velcro strap at the very top and the very bottom of the shaft to hold the cable, but I taped the cable to the shaft from the grip to the coil to cut down on the drag. If you tape the cable to the side of the shaft you will reduce the cross-section. Any reduction in drag will help you swing for longer periods of time. I used Gorilla tape...we'll see how it holds up. I also used two lengths of cable sheathing (you can see it in the second pic). One of the problems with chest mounts is that the cable flexes much more than a shaft mount and the cable can break from repeated bending. I figured the sheathing would help in this regard.

hw_misc_8.jpg

Stainless Diamond Scoop (7.5" x 12"). This is a great scoop, and costs a lot less than other brands, even though it seems to be made as well, if not better. The grip that you mount on the shaft gives you a lot of leverage to overcome the suction and the weight. You can also position the grip to your liking.

hw_misc_9.jpg

hw_misc_10.jpg

I would like to add some grommets to the shoulder straps so I can clip on some items and somehow add a water bottle holder...we'll see...this is a first attempt. I am going to replace the control mounting nuts and bolts with nylon replacements and replace the scoop grip hardware with stainless replacements. I am currently using nylon washers throughout on the control mounts (four per bolt).

I'm going to try this setup this weekend in Galveston. There's not a lot to be found down there at the moment, being winter and all, but it will be good practice and I can work out any functional kinks in the configuration. Plus, you never know...I may find something :)

HH!
TBGO

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice belt set up. I tried something like this with the controls sideways like yours, but thought the strain on the cables on both sides was to much. I now hang mine down from my neck with the coil wire at the bottom for cable free troubles. I have had some requests for pictures so I am going to have to get my camera back from my son.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Nice belt set up. I tried something like this with the controls sideways like yours, but thought the strain on the cables on both sides was to much. I now hang mine down from my neck with the coil wire at the bottom for cable free troubles. I have had some requests for pictures so I am going to have to get my camera back from my son.

Thanks Sandman. I thought of going vertical, or even diagonal with a bandolier type setup. Horizontal mounting may get in the way too much. I can always raise or lower the controls as required. In the meantime, I am putting some mounting holes/grommets in my waist belt so I can go to waist mount out in the field if I want to.

I think it would be pretty easy to convert this setup to vertical mount - I'd love to see how you did it.

HH!
TBGO

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On.......as a fellow harness maker, let me congratulate you on a very clean design.....since you use ez swing occasionally as i do...may i suggest that you can mount the bungee high on you shoulder strap (same side as your swinging arm) higher the better.....one more thing i ended up securing the bottom of the excal to the harness got tired of the excal hitting my big belly in rough surf...Great Job Beep

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rdi said:
The Beep Goes On.......as a fellow harness maker, let me congratulate you on a very clean design.....since you use ez swing occasionally as i do...may i suggest that you can mount the bungee high on you shoulder strap (same side as your swinging arm) higher the better.....one more thing i ended up securing the bottom of the excal to the harness got tired of the excal hitting my big belly in rough surf...Great Job Beep

Thanks rdi. Do you mean that you somehow added another attachment point? Adjusting the belt keeps it pretty snug...I'll have to see if it's snug enough. I was surprised that the mounting holds the Excal without much flopping around and it doesn't have the tendency to hang forward. I think it's because I used a double layer belt that provides some rigidity.

HH!
TBGO

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great set-up TBGO very nice, hope it works out for you. Good luck in Galveston this weekend.
Glenn

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beep...after studying your pic's i think you'll be fine....i built a removable pouch to hold the excal and it was necessary to anchor the bottom to prevent flopping...by the way, i use the same scoop that you have ,tried the lift handle and decided it wasn't to my liking...i did drill a small hole at the base of the handle so the water would drain out...also put a noodle on to keep the handle in a upright position...Rdi

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rdi said:
beep...after studying your pic's i think you'll be fine....i built a removable pouch to hold the excal and it was necessary to anchor the bottom to prevent flopping...by the way, i use the same scoop that you have ,tried the lift handle and decided it wasn't to my liking...i did drill a small hole at the base of the handle so the water would drain out...also put a noodle on to keep the handle in a upright position...Rdi

OK...I know what you're talking about...I really like your setup. The scoop handle seems strong enough...we'll have to see if I like it or not. The noodle is a great idea, as is the hole. Thanks for the input!

HH!
TBGO

T

TreasurdiggrNY

The Beep Goes On said:
rdi said:

OK...I know what you're talking about...I really like your setup. The scoop handle seems strong enough...we'll have to see if I like it or not. The noodle is a great idea, as is the hole. Thanks for the input!

HH!
TBGO
I have the same scoop and backsaver grip but I lost you guys on the noodle thing, can I see a pic of that somewhere?
Thanks,
Glenn

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noodles are the long Styrofoam float devices kids use in swimming pools and lakes. About 3 inches in diameter and 5-6 ft long They are hollow in the middle and can slide over most scoop handles. The non colored ones are the best as they will not bleed on your clothes when wet.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
snook said:
I went ahead and got the RTGBB6, should be here soon.

Cool...I don't think you could go wrong with either scoop.

HH!
TBGO

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I guess I'm just lazy or pathetic.... I throw mine in a big fanny pack and just do it that way. It's cheap, easy, and I still have other pockets to stash my finds.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Alot of people want to chest mount there excalibur because the hip mount is not sturdy, I went to sears and purchased a 2'' belt in there tool area, and i drilled 3 holes into the belt and mounted my excalibur unit to it, I wear the unit on the right side and have my pouch for collecting treasure on the left side, This 2'' web belt is sturdy and i have used it at the beach a year now with no complaints, I can't understand why Minelab keeps the flimsy side mount instead of developing the the wasit belt i just described,

Good luck detecting everyone, and also Kellyco has a top of the line treasure pouch that has three compartments and will not rot or tear up, it slides into a 2'' belt and i wear it on my left side, It has a hidden compartment for your keys or that ring you don't want anyone to see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread