PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using the Excal II for about a month and was wondering what I should have sensitivity set at. I read on a post a while ago not to use auto-sensitivity, not sure exactly what the reasoning was behind that.

I generally keep it at the 12 o clock position and it seems to work well, any higher it seems to false. I have been experimenting and auto sensitivity works well on dry sand and wet sand but seemed to false some in the water.

Just looking for some opinions in freshwater use.

Thanks

Pete

Upvote 0
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can set mine at almost maximum in fresh water. Sometimes I will use Auto when there is a lot of black sand in the area. Most of the freshwater sites I hunt up in NY have shallow targets. Even targets a hundred years old will be within detection range in the Auto mode. Your lake may be different though so go with what works best in your area. If you are getting erratic signals then back off the sensitivity.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im never use auto sensitivity. Because its change about the deep. Its not good. In the wet sand i use sensitivity 11oclock some time Max sensitivity. In the water 12 oclock. When the excalibur no stable its not problem. Its good for to know the good sound of lot of crazy. The true i want to use Excalibur sometimes gives me false signing in this case the Excal was very sensive of fine goold and very deep. Hamid Its just my idea. Good luck

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. I'll continue 12 o clock generally and maybe try a little higher and see if If I have any issues.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on your beach and amount of black sand. I sometimes use Auto in the water as it seems as deep as 11 o'clock on my Excal 1000. My all metal pinpoint isn't as deep or sensitive as Auto either. I've check signals against my friends Excal II and they react differently. Sometimes mine signals a deep target and his with the same setting won't. This shows not all detectors of the same brand and model aren't made the same due to slight differences in components,

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot depends on your beach and amount of black sand. I sometimes use Auto in the water as it seems as deep as 11 o'clock on my Excal 1000. My all metal pinpoint isn't as deep or sensitive as Auto either. I've check signals against my friends Excal II and they react differently. Sometimes mine signals a deep target and his with the same setting won't. This shows not all detectors of the same brand and model aren't made the same due to slight differences in components,

Thanks for the info, I have definitley noticed that my PP seems to generally have less depth then when I am in discriminate mode. I just keep experimenting and then back off when I seem to be falsing.

Thanks again.

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread