Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when I get that noise it's my battery getting low. It's sounds like I'm over a target. Did you charge your new battery overnight?

OP
OP
B

Bluetangclan

Greenie
Jan 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Usually when I get that noise it's my battery getting low. It's sounds like I'm over a target. Did you charge your new battery overnight?
I need to get a new charger. The dealer I got the pack from doesnt think the standard minelab charger will work. But that was the direction I was going in as well although even with the noise, I got a good 4 hours of detecting out of it.

Along these same lines not having an instruction manual what do these controls do?
Disc/pinpoint: Discrimnates iron
Threshhold: Aside from also being the on/off switch, what should this be set at on a beach?
Sensitivity: Is there a reason not to have it all the way to the right on auto?

Discriminate: no idea what these different settings do.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Disc/pinpoint: Discrimnates iron ... try and stay in disc to hunt until you learn your machine
Threshold..just audible
Sensitivity..set at the 12 o'clock position for starters.auto is a no no..unless the machine falses, then try lowering the sen..before you go into auto
Discriminate..set on 1..no more then 2
and Volume, is the targets volume ..

OR you can hunt in PP , crank up the senstivity to 10 or 11. dig ever thing..learn what your machine is telling you by the shape, strenght and duration of the target. Start guessing the targets..A good percentage of the time the excal is deeper in PP..How much deeper? Varies from beach to beach...And this is Wetsand to knee deep.

Video, most digs were coins..the good about my Vid's..you can hear the audio of the excal...everytime I reach over to the pod it is to switch between PP and disc..

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bluetangclan

Greenie
Jan 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the info and yes, that was the noise.
OBN- Is that a normal speed for sweeping? I am much slower and methodical. I saw someone doing that on the beach yesterday and I thought he was crazy and would miss things. He was not methodical at all just kind of randomly walking quickly. Said he wasnt having any luck either but then I think we all tell each other that in the field heheh.
I didnt find jack but I got some sun and gridded a 50x75yard stretch of beach :) Next time I bring beer. Talked to some Canadians who offered to throw their wedding band in the soft sand so I could find something heheh.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Disc swing slow is fine, PP you can swing faster cover more area...ever beach is different so to get the best results..After about 20 minutes of hunting I will stop and evaluate what the conditions are and If I need to adjust settings, style of hunting or just leave and jump locations, There were thousands of targets that day so I was trying to cover some area. Slow and griding is fine..I do that at a few beach's when needed, .............but mostly hunt in PP now ..........and cherry pick....Excal with Remote PP button on handle...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions